Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HID's Melting Wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID's Melting Wires

Ok, so for the last two years I have been running 55 watt HID's from DDM Tuning in both the low beams and the fog lights. I have the wiring harness for both as well. These had been working great until lately. My driver side headlight wouldnt come on and after a few tries I saw some smoke. Turns out the wiring had melted at the connector. It started melting on both headlights. I have since disconnected the wiring, removed the housing with the HID's and put my stock bulb/housing in so I have some working headlights. I know that I have read about other people and melted wires, but couldnt really find anything in the search. Most results were talking about melted housings.

So, has anybody else had this problem with the 55 watt kits? Any idea on how to solve it?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just got a replacement harness from them and noticed they are using heavier gage wire then before. But I'm running at 35 watts.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Yeah I wish I would have went with the 35 Watt, but its a little too late now. I will probably get another harness then. Were yours melting as well?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, water got into one of the connections on the ballast and rusted all the metal away. I just ordered a completely new kit since they now only sell the slim ballast now. They work much better then the full size ballast do anyway.

Quick Reply: HID's Melting Wires