Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Exterior LED strips

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior LED strips

So I have been searching for awhile but havent found an answer for what I'm trying to do.
Basically, I wanna replace my drls with an led strip that also acts as a blinker. Id like to mount them where the drls currently are, and disconnect the drls altogether.
I'm wondering, where is best to wire them to so that they'll be on anytime Accessory is on? Or at all times.
It would be awesome if it could act as a turn Signal as well but I could also just install two sets of leds, one white for drl, one amber for blinker.
If this is the case, how would I go about wiring the Amber ones?

A quick side question, I'd like to match my fog Light color to the White led, can I just throw in a top quality halogen bulb or are they all yellow? Trying not to have to do an hid kit.

Thanks! If it's been covered please provide a link because i have searched.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Is this just for the holiday season. When you say LED "strips," I think of this:

Or are you looking to install LED's in the existing turn signal lens that is two colors? (There are plug-n-play LED bulbs that do this.)
Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Is this just for the holiday season. When you say LED "strips," I think of this:

Or are you looking to install LED's in the existing turn signal lens that is two colors? (There are plug-n-play LED bulbs that do this.)
Could you point me in the direction of the plug and play ones? Yes, I'll be mounting them right in front of the existing turn signals and disconnecting them
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

wssix99 is talking about replacement LED 3157 bulbs that plug into the original lamp socket, not about strip lighting for in front of the lens. The ones that have white parking light and amber DRL/turn signals are call "switchback" bulbs.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to replace the factory lighting with strip lights other than to be an Audi wannabe that will only get laughter from anyone older than 12... but if that's what you want, check out superbrightleds.com or autolumination.com for rigid and flexible LED light strips. You can simply use the blue wire on each side to power the strips so that they function as DRLs and turn signals just like the factory bulbs.

Whether you use strips or replacement bulbs, you will need to switch to an electronic flasher to get the turn signals to work properly with LEDs.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm not sure how that would look. I just had a vision of KITT with a mustache flash before me.

There are so many curves on the front of the car, it might be hard to see the entire strip of lights. (Many LED's do not have a wide projection angle.)
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what I did. They are white and blink amber. They only function with the parking lights or headlights on. So every time I drive, I switch on my parking lights. I haven't figured out how to have them on all the time and function all the time. If I have them on with the engine, they are off with the headlights, but still function as signals in all states. I replaced my side markers with LED strips as well.

Quick Reply: Exterior LED strips