Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new to monsoon. have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to monsoon. have some questions

I have a 2000 camaro coupe with the monsoon stereo. It has an aftermarket HU but everything else seems to be factory. The amp has not been bypassed (when I unplug it the speakers quit working.) And all the wiring behind the HU seems to be correct.
Here is the problem. The door speakers are all that work. The other 4 speakers don't have ANY sound coming out. Problem is I don't know where to start. Could just part of the amp quit working? Is it just the speakers? I don't have the money to just start replacing stuff and I don't want to wire around the amp. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the speakers are the original OEM, they likely blown. Turning the fader all the way to the rear should isolate the hatch speakers. The sail panel speakers only produce mid-bass so keep that in mind when listening for them. There are ways to inspect and test them beyond just listening for them, but I would say 9 times out of 10 the problem is blown speakers and not the amp.

If you just want something to put in their place for a very low cost, look at some very affordable Audiopipe 6.5" mid-bass cones for the sails and some cheap 2-ways (non-component set) for the hatch. Read the FAQ and make sure you get the proper coil and impedance setup for Camaro Monsoon setups.

Worst case, you get some 100% sure functioning speakers that are still an upgrade from stock and if you still need an amp, a used one fleabay is like $40.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Teching In

OK thanks. That's basically what I was thinking but I figured I would ask someone who knows more than me about these cars.

Quick Reply: new to monsoon. have some questions