Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

RE USX-65KV.1 amp any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Default RE USX-65KV.1 amp any good?

My brother just ordered a pair of 12" RE SXX v2 SERIES subs. I strongly believe the subs will hit very hard, but I'm worried about the amp he bought which is a RE USX-65KV.1 amp. I want to get some feed back before he can't change his mind. I don't have much experience with sound systems so I don't know a lot on the topic, so if anybody has experience with RE amps feel free to chime in. I would appreciate it.

http://reaudio.com/products/amplifiers_usx.php
Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I can tell you this much, not familiar with the brand myself but I could see it doing the power it claims (based on the math, including all 6 fuses, of which you can only see 3) but your gonna need a BIG *** alternator (talking 250+ amps) to run that setup and like 1/0 power and ground (copper only, non of that copper clad aluminum crap at this level).
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
well, I can tell you this much, not familiar with the brand myself but I could see it doing the power it claims (based on the math, including all 6 fuses, of which you can only see 3) but your gonna need a BIG *** alternator (talking 250+ amps) to run that setup and like 1/0 power and ground (copper only, non of that copper clad aluminum crap at this level).
He'd only need that extra power if he actually uses. If one were to channel 150+ A of power, (more than runs everything else on the car combined) assuming that the speakers can handle it, I'd think that an ambulance ride to the hospital, bleeding ear drums, and torn spot welds would result. (So bigger problems than not enough power.)

It seems to me that this amp is meant more for show than to actually transmit sound signals to human ears.

Maybe I'm off? What is your brother looking for? I don't think anyone can say if it was a good or a bad choice unless we know what the objective is. Is this for a show car? Is your brother a chiropterologist looking to use his car for high frequency/long distance experimentation? Is he looking to impress girls? Is he looking to impress guys?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

do the math man, it has 6 (3 internal) 40 amp fuses that adds up to 240 amps total, 240x12= 2880watts or 240x14=3360 and being the average amp only converts something like 60-70% of it's intake power to sound output that puts it right inline to be 2200 watt RMS at 1 ohm, which is likely where it will be run if they are running dual 4 ohm 12's since they already stated they bought 2 12's and 2 dual 4 ohm run in parallel is 1 ohm.

I think your over stating things, it would be not unlike this build https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ld-camaro.html which I have personally sat it while it has playing full tilt, hitting just below 150db (149.8db).
Old 12-23-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Class D amps are typically more efficient than the 60-70% AB amps... but still... complete overkill in a cabin no bigger than a sub-compact. I have had a number failures running 1 Ohm and even 2 Ohm loads and won't do it anymore, especially at really high power levels. Also the reduced damping effect of low impedance makes the bass seem a little too "loose", like a blown shock absorber that keeps oscillating too long after a bump. But if simply being loud is the goal, go for it.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

do the math man, it has 6 (3 internal) 40 amp fuses that adds up to 240 amps total
I don't need to do the math, because the specs are on the site linked above. What I was saying is that the full amount of power isn't drawn continuously. If the volume is on 2, then it's at less than max power. If the volume is on 11, then that's when things get taxing.

I think your over stating things, it would be not unlike this build https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ld-camaro.html which I have personally sat it while it has playing full tilt, hitting just below 150db (149.8db).
I think we're on the same page. 150db is above the threshold for pain in humans and can do physical damage inside someone's ear. That's fine for short periods of time and for show, but I don't know anyone who can bear that level of sound listening to tunes for the full duration of a 2 hour road trip.

So, I think the question remains about what the objective of the OP's brother is. Is it to blast sound and win a loudest stereo competition? If so, than this amp might be a good choice.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd recommend he go with the smaller USX 45KV.1 . Since you need to double the power to notice a DB increase and the USX 65KV.1 doesn't offer that. That means he won't notice a difference going with the less expensive USX 45KV.1. If he's going to run a good amplifier with a good set of main speakers the smaller Amp will be fine. Now if he's only running a amplifier for the subs I'd then run only about 400-600 rms watts for the subs. I'd also recommend him doing the Big 3 upgrade first.

Quick Reply: RE USX-65KV.1 amp any good?