Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

help a stereo newb figure out amp and speaker wattage

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help a stereo newb figure out amp and speaker wattage

So if I have a speaker that is rated at 180 W RMS does that mean that I need to the find an amp that can give it at least 180 W? What if it is more, what if it is less?

Right now I am looking at getting a pair of CDT HD-62 which are rated at 180 W RMS and I am trying to find an amp that will provide it with enough power.
It will need to be a 4 channel amp, so that I can upgrade later on if I need / want to. I am going to start off with the CDT's up front and JL 10w3v2 in the stealthbox for the sub. So I will bridge the the other two channels of the amp to feed the subwoofer.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Last edited by DVST8OR; 05-09-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

RMS is the recommended power level to make the speaker operate safely within its parameters. So for that speaker I would use a amp that puts out 150 to 250 watts RMS. Make sure when your looking at amps that you get the RMS rating and not peak power which most amps out there post their ratings in.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so if I find one that puts out 200 - 250 pr channel, that is not going to blow / be bad for the speaker?

Sorry I am completely ignorant about this stuff, but I am learning.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DVST8OR
so if I find one that puts out 200 - 250 pr channel, that is not going to blow / be bad for the speaker?
That should be no problem but make sure its a amp designed for those speakers. Im not familiar with those speakers are the subs or midrange/highs? If they are subs make sure you get a amp designed for subs that will have a low pass filter or LPF. If they are midrange/highs get a amp with a high pass filter or HPF. Some more expensive amps have both. I always recommend you get a amp that puts out more power than what you need and just lower the gains, that way the amp isnt working as hard. By the amp not working as hard it will run cooler and put out a cleaner sound, make your amp last longer, and make your speakers last longer.

Originally Posted by DVST8OR
Sorry I am completely ignorant about this stuff, but I am learning.
Never feel your ignorant by asking what some consider a "basic" question. The ignorant thing is to make a bad decision because you assume you know what your doing. I much rather help people make the right desicion the first time then try fixing their problems because they didnt know what they are doing. That goes for any questions on this board in any forum, the Mods on here and most of its members wont make fun of you for asking stupid questions only making uninformed stupid decisions.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks