Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installing a 'hidden' CD player?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb installing a 'hidden' CD player?

I'd like to install a new mp3 capable CD player in my '98 Formula, but after having been broken into THREE times by crackheads who do more damage to the doors / windows than the crappy $69 kenwood CD player cost in the first place, I want the interior to look as plain and stock and boring as possible to anyone who looks inside.

I'm getting the 12" enclosure subthumb milhouse box to hide the sub and amp, but i dont want a flashy cd player sticking out like a little box of money in plain view. yes i know about removable face CD players but i am lazy and never do it anyway.

So I want someway to install a new CD player somewhere accessable to the driver, but not replace the stock unit. Things i've considered doing is finding somewhere in the console to put it, or possibly ripping out the stock cd player's guts but leave the plastic cover with the buttons intact, and put the new cd player behind it or something? any bright ideas as to where a good spot would be?

Also the question of how to hook it up comes up then. Easiest way to me would hope that the stock system has some kind of aux input... it says monsoon on the front, so anyone know if it has this capability? Otherwise I have no problem just hooking the harness up to the new cd player whereever it is, but i would have to get some kind of extension, which i also hope someone sells.

Am I asking for a pretty unfeasable idea, has anyone even done it bofore or any good ideas to try?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

i've never seen or heard of this being done, but i see no reason why you cant just hook up an aftermarket radio like normal and custom mount it like in the glovebox. the harness should have enough slack that it could be pulled back (dont the wires run that way to the amp anyways?) to reach the glovebox. you could probably do something nice like mount it to the "ceiling" of the glovebox and cut out the back of the tray so when you open the door it just folds down to expose the player. this would leave the stock head unit there but not functional, and i think it would be sweet to open the glovebox and see a radio.

(woohoo! 100th post!)
Old 05-10-2004, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

or if you wanted to get REALLY fancy you could do something likethis.

you could put the head unit like under a seat or something.. and the faceplate like on your visor in place of the mirror..

that might be a bit harder tho
Old 05-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Why not just get a stock CD player?

It is possible to get the stock radio to accept AUX inputs. The radio has to be either a tape player or a 2000+ CD player. The model number for the adapter cable is GM9-AUX. PAC and PIE both make this cable, but its hard to find. A stereo installion shop might be able to get it for you, but they'll charge too much ($100 for a short freekin cable!?!). The cable will connect into the CD Changer port on the back of the headunit and give you RCA intput.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
Why not just get a stock CD player?

It is possible to get the stock radio to accept AUX inputs. The radio has to be either a tape player or a 2000+ CD player. The model number for the adapter cable is GM9-AUX. PAC and PIE both make this cable, but its hard to find. A stereo installion shop might be able to get it for you, but they'll charge too much ($100 for a short freekin cable!?!). The cable will connect into the CD Changer port on the back of the headunit and give you RCA intput.
I already have a stock CD player, but it doesnt have mp3 capability. thats why i want to get a new one.

also that would mean i'd have to get a new cd player that had RCA outs for all the channels, not just the subwoofer RCA out (like most).

I like the idea about mounting it inside the glove compartment though! that would be teh supar pimp. thanks!
Old 05-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by briantech
I already have a stock CD player, but it doesnt have mp3 capability. thats why i want to get a new one.
Ahh... I see.

If you would like a MP3 CD Changer.
Best Buy sells a "NeoChanger" that connectes directly into the CD Changer port in the back of the Monsoon headunit.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0&type=product

I dont have one though. Others on here do have it; maybe they can chime in. From what I have heard it is nice, but the stock headunit cant access MP3 files above a certain numer.

Here is a thread about this CD Changer:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=neochanger

Here is a quote from that thread:
Originally Posted by Hooplah
(1) If the CD has multiple albums with each album listed as a directory, the headunit will only see and play the MP3s in the first directory on the CD. (2) The headunit will only see the first 63 tracks when all MP3s are listed in the root, even though there may be more MP3s on the CD.
The limitation seems to be an issue with the stock headunit and not neccessarily the CD Changer. Read the thread for more info.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna install one in the center console under the door