Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DD Headunit recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DD Headunit recommendations

Edit: So, I thought I had all the information I needed in my lengthy prior post (that I have now deleted), but I was way off in my understanding of the various models.

My set up is - I have a 2000 Camaro 'vert, and I'm looking to upgrade the headunit. Right now I have an older Pioneer 1.5 DIN in there. I am running aftermarket speakers in all 4 stock locations, along with a 12" sub, all run by a 5 channel Memphis amp. None of the stock Monsoon system remains or is actively being used anyway.

I am considering both the Pioneer AVH-X2600BT and Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS. The only difference is one has a HD radio tuner built-in and is $50 more.

Here are my questions:
1) Anything I am missing in regard to this and a DD Mod bezel? Should fit and look great, right?
2) These are 2V output. I am not a major audiophile. Like I said, I am running a ~10 year old Pioneer so anything is a pretty good upgrade. Is the 2V vs 4V preamp THAT drastic a difference for the average Joe? Like I mentioned, I am running all speakers through a 5 channel amp.
3) Anyone have any pics of this style of radio in a Camaro? Just curious as to how it'll look.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Atrus_SS; 01-15-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off that is a double din head unit so you would need a new bezel. Costs around $100. Your other option is to get a flip out unit if you really want the touchscreen and tv.

As for the preout voltage yes it does make a diffrence. Old school eclipse hu used to have 8 volt preouts. The more the better, a line driver can also boost that signal but either way 2volt or 4 volt you should be fine since it's not a competition system.

Oh yea and for $50 The hd tuner does make a diffrence in the quality of the sound you get from listening to the radio, that is if you listen to the radio. Most people have disk drives or iPhones that plug in. CDs are even getting old now. Bottom line is if you listen to the radio a lot over pandora it's a very nice thing to have.

I'd also look into a Bluetooth option, they are very nice. Read a few reviews of some units on crutchfield about how well they function. Other people who own the unit can tell you what it's good at and what they wish it had or did.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

i have i pioneer single din with bluetooth and its great i can talk on the phone with the top down and people can hear me perfect and playing my playlist through bluetooth is nice
Old 01-16-2014, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackCowl
First off that is a double din head unit so you would need a new bezel. Costs around $100. Your other option is to get a flip out unit if you really want the touchscreen and tv.

As for the preout voltage yes it does make a diffrence. Old school eclipse hu used to have 8 volt preouts. The more the better, a line driver can also boost that signal but either way 2volt or 4 volt you should be fine since it's not a competition system.

Oh yea and for $50 The hd tuner does make a diffrence in the quality of the sound you get from listening to the radio, that is if you listen to the radio. Most people have disk drives or iPhones that plug in. CDs are even getting old now. Bottom line is if you listen to the radio a lot over pandora it's a very nice thing to have.

I'd also look into a Bluetooth option, they are very nice. Read a few reviews of some units on crutchfield about how well they function. Other people who own the unit can tell you what it's good at and what they wish it had or did.
Thanks for the info - I was thinking the 2v difference wouldn't make or break it for me, but was hoping someone could confirm. I will be getting a DD mods bezel to accommodate it. Also, this unit does have bluetooth - I have a bluetooth JVC single DIN in my daily driver and love being able to stream music. Good point on the better quality with HD radio....I do still listen to a lot of radio. It's actually one of the reasons I am wanting to ditch the HU I have - I get no radio reception. I'm confident it's not the antenna causing the issue.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mab6680
i have i pioneer single din with bluetooth and its great i can talk on the phone with the top down and people can hear me perfect and playing my playlist through bluetooth is nice
Good to know! I was wondering how it'd work with the top down. I have an older (2009) JVC single-din bluetooth in my daily driver and my wife always complains I sound terrible on it. She won't talk to me on it, so I don't use the BT for hands-free anymore. Just use it for streaming music off my phone.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

I can vouch for the audio quality of the bluetooth on Pioneers, I can be mid call and switch from the bluetooth back to the phone (when I get where I'm going and get out of the car) and no one can tell the difference, I've asked and they had no idea.

the trick is proper placement of the mic, which IMO is around the driverside visor pointing toward the driver, I actually have mine hanging from the hole left in the headliner from removing visor.

Quick Reply: DD Headunit recommendations