Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Driver's door won't unlock. Is my hunch correct?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's door won't unlock. Is my hunch correct?

So I've done some research; correct me if I'm wrong, please. My car didn't come with a key fob, but I bought an oem one and reprogrammed it. Trunk, alarm, and passenger's door work perfectly fine, but the driver's door neither unlocks or locks both from the key and interior controls. When I press either control however, I can hear the door trying to unlock, but with no results. Does this mean the problem is mechanical instead of electronic? I'd like to rule electronics out as the problem since the possibilities from there seem endless. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the electrical connection from the door actuator and check for 12v across the pins while holding the lock/unlock switch down. If you've got voltage in both directions (lock and unlock), then it's not wiring. The door motor/latch is easy to replace, you don't even have to really align it, just three torx screws holding it in.

Make sure you check the right plug. If you have a 98+ car, there are two; one for the door lock actuator, one for the door open/close circuit for the door chime.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question, yes it sounds mechanical.
You can check for voltage as mentioned above to verify.

I've seen this little rubber piece in the actuator dry up and crack.

I ended up taking it out, using JB weld in the rubber area.
I put the rod back in and just made sure none of the JB weld was sticking to anything else. You simply want that rod to move back and forth.

After it dried, I reinstalled. It's easy, just 3 screws as Spartan mentioned.

I think any plastic weld type, two part epoxy at AutoZone, Pepboys... should work.
Attached Thumbnails Driver's door won't unlock. Is my hunch correct?-dsc00320.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I'll check the assembly to see if anything is out of order. If not then i'll check the voltage as described. Thanks for the input and picture! I'll update if I can track down the issue.

Quick Reply: Driver's door won't unlock. Is my hunch correct?