Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hertz subwoofer help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hertz subwoofer help!

Ok, So I have two Hertz energy sub woofers and a custom box for them. I bought them from a friend who had a firebird as well but sold it. He already got rid of the amp by itself. All I need is the amp, I need a good amp but don't want it to be a $500 purchase. Is there any good reliable cheaper amps that could hold the power of my subs?

Also I still have the Monsoon Radio upfront, should I upgrade that to better handle the amp and subs?

On the bottom of the subs it says
ES 300
700 watt.... I don't know if that is max power or not.
4 ohm
Attached Thumbnails Hertz subwoofer help!-800media-imag1204.jpg   Hertz subwoofer help!-800media-imag1203.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, right off the bat, I would say to upgrade your head unit just because you are adding a new amp (for the subs) and the stock head unit doesn't have RCA outputs and IMO "hi-lo converters" (those things you wire into your normal speaker wires to get RCA outputs) are crap. Keep in mind you will also need wiring to support the amp you buy, so between the minimum headunit (Pioneer with a dedicated subwoofer RCA out) and a 4 gauge wire kit (not some cheap as copper clad aluminum one) your gonna be like 150-200 into those parts (plus the dash kit and wire harness for the headunit) and where almost halfway to that 500 dollar number, that doesn't leave much for an amp (well an amp that will actually run at the numbers it says it will do, most cheaper amps are WAY WAY WAY over rated).

also AMPS don't "hold the power subs", amps supply power to the subs.

here is the info on your subs http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/doc/pdf_es300.pdf
Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soccerstar5717
Ok, So I have two Hertz energy sub woofers and a custom box for them. I bought them from a friend who had a firebird as well but sold it. He already got rid of the amp by itself. All I need is the amp, I need a good amp but don't want it to be a $500 purchase. Is there any good reliable cheaper amps that could hold the power of my subs?

Also I still have the Monsoon Radio upfront, should I upgrade that to better handle the amp and subs?

On the bottom of the subs it says
ES 300
700 watt.... I don't know if that is max power or not.
4 ohm
Your sub is 350watts RMS, 700watts Peak Power. RMS is the one you want to pay attention to.
I have Hertz's full line and I can set you up with a great little amp to power those that won't break the bank. You really don't have to spend a fortune on a solid amp.
One of my absolute favorites for a small footprint, big power at an affordable price is the JBL GTO-501EZ. I use this amp alot as it has an affordable price and puts out WAY more then advertised power ratings.
Advertised RMS power rating:

350watts @ 4ohms
500watts @ 2ohm

What it actually does, independently tested by SMD's amp dyno:
14.4volts (car running at idle)
884watts @ 2ohm

12.8volts (car not on, key turned on)
662watts @ 2ohm

Lowest numbers it made at 1% THD:
14.4V
717watts RMS @ 2ohm

12.8V
574watts RMS @ 2ohm

What does that mean. It means you can buy a quality amp which also has it's own test CD and LED indicator that tells you when the amp gain is set properly (actually is pretty accurate also) that will put out way over what it says it does for $179.99 (shipped free in the US) with full warranty on it from an authorized dealer.
So your subs together at 2ohm (4ohm wired in parallel) would receive a healthy 700+watts RMS or exactly what they are rated at essentially with 1% THD. Not bad for under $200.00.
http://www.keeaudio.com/jblamps.html
Plus it is a pretty small amp. I use it in my DD and I love it.

Upgrading the head unit helps on several levels. One, it cleans up the sound significantly because the signal is cleaner then the stock Delco radio, you also have more multimedia options you can use. Another benefit, RCA preamp level outputs vs. having to use a line level converter to convert the amplified signal into a low level RCA signal. The last benefit is that most aftermarket radios of any quality will have an onboard subwoofer controller which you can control level and frequency with generally. It makes adjusting your subs output a little easier being able to do it from the radio once you have the basic settings done on the amp.
I have several nice ones and some of the new 2014 stuff is coming out.
Shoot me an email at: keeaudio@bellsouth.net

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 02-09-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

That's a good looking amp. Any heat issues with it?

Quick Reply: Hertz subwoofer help!