Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2001 Trans am - no power going to sail panel speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Trans am - no power going to sail panel speakers

I purchased this car in 2011 and the previous owner had done quite a bit of rigging to the car. Mostly to the audio system, thankfully hardly touched the engine bay. He had rewired the speaker, replaced the hatch speakers with 6x9's and also replaced the sail panels woofers as well as the door woofers with coaxial speakers. The saddest thing is on almost all of the connections all he did was twist the copper wire together and wrap in electrical tape.

I've been slowly trying to improve the car, got new hatch panels with the stock woofers and tweeters, this works as it should. But there has never been any sound coming from the sail panel coaxial speakers. I pulled them and the previous owner had combined both the positive wires and then both negative wires to the single positive and negative on the coaxial speakers. I'm not sure if this ruined the amp or not but I disconnected the speakers and then used a multimeter on all of the pairs of wires, both left and right. None of them are receiving any power with the head unit on, rear hatch speakers are though.

Has anyone else had this problem? If it's the amp, I know I can replace it for 25 or less but would like to know if there is anything else I should check.

Last edited by Mark01ta; 02-18-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really could use some input on this. I'm sure that the monsoon amp is getting all four channel input from the headunit, which makes me think it is just the amp.

Are the hatch speakers really that helpful? I would consider running the wires from the hatch woofers to the sail panel coaxial speakers that are there now. I think this would be an improvement but would like the best sound possible eventually when I have money to upgrade speakers.

I do not have a subwoofer and do not plan on adding one anytime soon, just want the best sound for the money right now.

Quick Reply: 2001 Trans am - no power going to sail panel speakers