Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering Wheel Control Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Control Conversion

I was wondering if there was anybody that does these? I've fooled with it and fooled with it trying to make my red lights on my T/As steering wheel controls blue but I've had enough trying to do it myself and wonder if there is anyone on here or know of anyone that I can send the circuit board to and have them put blue LEDs in them to make them shine brightly blue. I know it won't shine the blue I want because of the white lettering but still. If anybody can help me out, I can send some money and the wiring and boards. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I don't remember if there is a red film in the Firebird steering wheel controls, but its easy to change the bulbs to LED and you can pick any color you want.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...onversion.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-controls.html
Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think there's a filter, there's just a red cover on the bulbs. It was that way in my '00 SS (blue cover) and my '99 Grand Prix had red covers too. As mentioned, swap to LED and enjoy whatever color you'd want.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See, I've read both of those before and I'm just awful at soldering. Either I'm just not fully understanding exactly what to do but I am not having any luck with the conversion to LED.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced the bulbs in steering wheel controls on my S10 Blazer and there were blue condoms on the bulbs to color the white lamps that were in them.
I think Ive seen the covers before so do a search on line. No need to solder or do any electronics If you do want to replace bulbs PM me and Ill post some pics of how I did here.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Control Conversion