Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trans Am Wont Start After Removing Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am Wont Start After Removing Radio

Ok...so first off...im an idiot. I took the radio out last night without disconnecting the battery "I know better but I just forgot". WITH THAT SAID...the car started when I put it back in at like 9:30pm last night...it stuttered, but it started. I set the clock to the accurate time, set my presets back to the stations I wanted and went to bed.

Fast forward to this morning...put the key in, go to start the car and it just clicks but wont turn over. Radio comes on, all the lights come on, but it wont start. I disconnected the battery for a minute or two and let it sit there and reconnected it hoping that would solve the problem but it didnt.

So im thinking 1 of like 5 things is the issue...First is the battery, its got the symptoms of a dead or dieing battery so I'm going to take it out after work and go get it tested...gonna try and jump it off too. Second thing I was thinking is that I somehow messed with the theft system by not disconnecting the battery but wouldnt the car have not started last night instead of this morning...? It did stutter, but it started after I put it back in...weird...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...like I said, the car started last night when I put the battery back in. It wasnt a solid start and it hesitated for just a second and then turned over with no issues. I was thinking it was because I had the radio out for like 2-3hours and didnt think much of it until I tried to start it this morning.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unlike newer GM models, the radio has nothing to do with the security system in 4th generation f-bodies. The radio has its own security called TheftLoc which is designed to discourage theft of the head unit but it has nothing to do with starting the vehicle.

I think you'll find the removal and replacement of the radio is just a coincidence. If you can get someone to assist you with a boost and the car starts, you can eliminate things like fuses and VATS security system problems to concentrate on the battery and possibly the charging system.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Unlike newer GM models, the radio has nothing to do with the security system in 4th generation f-bodies. The radio has its own security called TheftLoc which is designed to discourage theft of the head unit but it has nothing to do with starting the vehicle.

I think you'll find the removal and replacement of the radio is just a coincidence. If you can get someone to assist you with a boost and the car starts, you can eliminate things like fuses and VATS security system problems to concentrate on the battery and possibly the charging system.
the more I look into the issue the more I think the battery drained over night and that this is more of a coincidence than a problem...if it was VATS "i've had issues with that on other Fbody's" I would think it wouldn't turn over at all instead of doing what it is doing. I'll update what I find when I jump it off after work...
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

update:

looks like something drained the battery...I jumped it off with my truck when I got home from work and it fired right up. Let it sit for like an hour and started it again with no issues...took it to dinner like 45mins later and started both going and coming back with no issues.

Lets see how it does in the morning...

Quick Reply: Trans Am Wont Start After Removing Radio