Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Very faint sound coming from new amp/sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very faint sound coming from new amp/sub

I recently installed a new Hifonics ZRX1200.1D amp and RE Audio RFX10D4 subwoofer from Kee Audio. Got everything hooked up & it didn't seem like it was hitting hard at all. So I disconnected the other amp running the rest of the speakers, and there is just a very faint sound coming from the sub. I tried wiggling wires and making sure all the settings on my Pioneer DEH-X8500BH head unit were correct, and they seem to be. I have 1/0 ga power wire coming off the battery, split with a Knu Konceptz 2 Way Fuse Distribution Block, into two 4 ga wires going to my 2 amps. The fuses are fine, and the amp's red "trouble" light is not on. The other amp is working great. The gain is set to 4 volts, which is the output of my head unit. I've adjusted all the other amp settings, with no change. What can I check to see what the problem might be? I'm using 16 ga speaker wire, and should upgrade to 12, but I don't think that would cause this problem. I've grounded both amps to the same bolt, don't know if that might cause an issue? Maybe a loose RCA connection at the head unit?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess I figured it out. I had to turn the gain almost all the way down. Not sure why, but it seems to be working normally now. It was moving the hair on my head in the front seat, so I'm pretty sure that's a good sign.

Quick Reply: Very faint sound coming from new amp/sub