Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ac compressor keeps blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac compressor keeps blowing fuses

car is a 98 v6 firebird. i first noticed my clutch wasnt kicking on, so i checked wiring and fuses and everything and there was a 30 amp fuse in place of the 15 amp fuse and the wiring going to the compressor was melted badly around the valve cover. i sliced new wire from where it appeared to be good and put on a new connector to the compressor. i read that to check if it is the wiring shorted or the clutch electromagnet to unplug the connector and turn the ac on, and if the fuse blows, its wiring. fuse blew so i'm suspecting wiring is still melted somewhere, but my question is where the wiring goes at the back of the valve cover. as you guys know, it's hard to see anything past the first two cylinders on my car, and anything behind the engine is strictly feel with fingers only. any help with what to do? this rain on these hot summer days is TERRIBLE in a car with no a/c, i'm sick of going to work wet and my car being wet on the inside
Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perhaps i left out the diode? i'm not sure where it's supposed to be, but if it is along the valve cover, it's melted and cut out. i'm thinking the previous owner had trouble with fuses blowing, so he stepped it up with a 30 amp, which melted the wiring that i had to replace. anyone know where the diode is supposed to be, or wtf i need to do to get this bitch going?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

This is a schematic from a `99TA. Might be a bit different, but shows the diode as well as it's orientation.

ac compressor keeps blowing fuses-81060172.gif

Quick Reply: ac compressor keeps blowing fuses