Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear view camera electrical question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view camera electrical question.

Car is an '01 Pontiac Firebird Formula. So i am installing a double din stereo and want to utilize the rear camera. I want to be able to have the camera on all the time i am driving, so i searched for a power source that comes on when the key is turned on rather than just using the rear back up taillight. i decided to use the steering wheel radio control power wire since i no longer am using this due to an aftermarket steering wheel. First off, i am in no way a electrical genius. So i notice this wire has a 1 amp? Fuse in the fuse box on the driver side dash. The camera doesn't require much juice but will it burn the fuse? If so, should/could i up the fuse to a 5 or 10 amp without Effing something up? Thanks for youe help.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The solution is much simpler - just connect the camera power wire to the same ignition switched power as the head unit. That would be the red wire in the harness adapter (you are using a harness adapter, right?). That will make the camera come on whenever the head unit is on.

Now the question is how will you change station or playlist or use any of the other functions of the HU that require the touch screen? Wouldn't a separate switch controlling the camera power be better?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Now the question is how will you change station or playlist or use any of the other functions of the HU that require the touch screen? Wouldn't a separate switch controlling the camera power be better?

on my pioneer nex if i touch the screen while i have my camera on it will go back to the main screen then back to the back up cam a few seconds later. i have the camera power wire connected to the red wire on my radio harness

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 09-11-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag
Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Yes i know about using the power wire for the radio but i wanted to use a wire that wasn't being ised to power anything. My genious convinced myself that i would be straining the power if it was trying to power the double din dvd screen and the camera at the same time.

Also yes like the other poster, if i need to i can just tap the screen and it will go back to my stereo controls and then after a moment of not pressing the screen it will go back to the camera.

Quick Reply: Rear view camera electrical question.