Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

BCM or Lock Actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM or Lock Actuator?

Just yesterday, the driver side door of my 02 Camaro started refusing to unlock electronically, whether I use the key fob, or either of the switches. The actuator doesn't even attempt to move, as though it's not getting power, but both doors lock just fine. I've been searching the forums, but haven't been able to find anything concrete. Is there an easy-ish way to determine whether the BCM is at fault or do I just need a new actuator?

Last edited by CamaroWill; 09-21-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It depends on what you call "easy-ish". You can use a multimeter to test that the BCM is sending power correctly to the door lock actuator. Inside the left door, look for the tan wire and grey wire going to the actuator. When locking, you should have 12V+ on the grey and ground on the tan. When unlocking, the polarity is reversed... 12V+ on tan and ground on grey.

If you get those results then the BCM is working properly and the problem is with the actuator. If not, the problem is either the BCM or the wiring between the BCM and the door.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you try this with the car running? (Lot's of times, odd things like this can be a sign of a weak battery.)
Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I checked the output wires at the BCM with a test light a couple days ago. They all lit up to their corresponding functions except for the driver side unlock tan wire. Went ahead and bought a refurbished BCM from Amazon right after. Received the new unit today, plugged it in, adjusted the settings in programming mode and now everything works beautifully again.

Quick Reply: BCM or Lock Actuator?