Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp wire heat soak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Amp wire heat soak?

I am one of the few who actually ran the subwoofer amp wire on the driver side, as I didn't realize I could've run it thru the passenger side firewall.

Anyway, the way I routed mine was from the battery, then went across the engine (below the cowl area but under the hood). Kinda wish I hadn't done it this way because it gets really hot in that area (I do have plastic wire loom around the wire). Been like that for many years never had problems but do I need to be worried aboue heat soak on amp wire? Or are amp wires designed to withstand heat? Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well "amp wire" as you call it is like any other wire, as heat increases so does resistance which causes voltage drop on the wire to be greater.

Aluminum Wire (found in most cheaper kits) is effected more then Copper Wire (found in the better kits), so not knowing what "kit" (not just manufacture as many sell both aluminum and copper kits) you have it is hard to say how effected you would likely be.

As a general rule you want to avoid heat sources as they are never a good thing, reroute your wire when you get a chance, you'll get better voltage to your amp.

Quick Reply: Amp wire heat soak?