Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fuse melted/dash smoking HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse melted/dash smoking HELP!

I finally finished putting my rebuilt trans into my car (99 MBM M6 Trans Am) yesterday after not having it for a few months and took it out for a ride. Everything was fine and I parked it for the night. This morning I went to drive it to work, backed out of my driveway, and started driving up the street. Smoke started coming from the dash on both the passenger and driver sides. I turned around and parked and checked the fusebox. The "turn b/u" fuse was completely melted! I didn't have time to diagnose before work, but does anyone have any idea what could have happened? The turn signals were working last night aside from my front passenger side bulb(it burnt out and I haven't gotten around to replace it). I did have the car in reverse yesterday so it wasn't like this was the first time the reverse switch was used. The fuse was yellow, so I assume it was 20A, but it is so melted that I don't know if I will even be able to get it out of the holder. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this circuit I could look at? I tried searching for diagrams but I can only seem to find stereo wiring diagrams.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for something arcing or shorting in the engine bay, particularly among the passenger side wiring. My turn/backup lights fuse was blowing, along with my ENG SEN fuse, when my dipstick had moved and was arcing against a coil pack bolt.

Quick Reply: Fuse melted/dash smoking HELP!