Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Head Unit Install Wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Head Unit Install Wiring questions

Hello,
Ive been a guest to this site numerous times and appreciate all that I have learned. So first off let me say thanks to everyone.

Now I am sure I am not the first with this issue/question, but I could not find anything specific when I searched, so here I go. ( I also read the Sticky, and still have questions)..or just looking to confirmation.

I bought a Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS double din head unit, and I am installing it into a 2000 Trans Am.
I got a generic wiring harness specific to install vehicle (came with the head unit purchase)

New Head Unit has 16 wires.
White
White/Black
Green
Green/Black
Gray
Gray/Black
Purple
Purple/Black
Black
Red
Yellow
Yellow/Black (tagged as MUTE)
Light Green (detects parking Brake)
Blue/White (tagged System Remote Control)
Purple/White (tagged Revers Gear signal input) - for back up camera add on
Orange/White

The Wiring Harness has 13 wires
White
White/Black
Green
Green/Black
Gray
Gray/Black
Purple
Purple/Black
Black
Red
Yellow
Blue (labeled Power Antenna)
Orange ( labeled Dash Light Illumn)

So the matching color wires obviously connect.
Which Leaves the following coming out of the head unit
Yellow/Black (tagged as mute) - guessing not used
Light Green (parking brake sensor- I got an override - so no questions on this wire)
Purple/White (back up camera - not installing one at this time)
Blue/White
Orange/White

and the following coming from the wiring Harness
Orange
Blue

I have read I should not connect the Orange and the Orange /White. ( I might tap the Orange/White Head unit Wire directly into the Factory Brown car wire- Since I have read is it is corresponding car wire.)

My main question, is what do I hook the Wiring Harness - Blue wire to? - I am guessing it does not connect to the Head Unit Blue/White (System Remote Control).. But does this mean my power (retractable) antenna will not go up or down?
If so, is there anyway around this?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be as thorough as possible.\
( I also bought a ASWC-1, but no questions on that.... yet)

Thank you for any knowledge you all can share.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

As you surmised, almost all the wires will match color for color between the head unit and the adapter harness.

The Monsoon system has no remote turn-on wire so it does not use the blue/white wire. When there is no blue wire for power antenna from the head unit, you can use the blue/white wire. The difference is that the blue wire is used when the head unit will raise and lower the antenna based on what audio source is in use (i.e. up for radio, down for CD or USB). The blue/white wire works like the GM factory antenna - up whenever the head unit is powered on regardless of which audio source is in use.

Technically, the orange/white and orange wires are different but many head units treat them the same because they both control illumination. You can connect the orange to the orange/white and it will work. The difference is that orange is intended for variable dimmer power while orange/white is intended as a simple on/off signal from the dash lights.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for your ridiculously fast response and knowledge.

Thats great to read that my power antenna will still work.
And I will connect the Orange & Orange/white wires.

thanks again, you are a god when it comes to wiring

Quick Reply: New Head Unit Install Wiring questions