Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Narrowing The Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowing The Search

Ok, for the fourth time I'm posting in hopes of figuring out what audio setup my 1995 V6 Pontiac Firebird has, and how to improve it. In retrospect, I should have started here, but there's always more than one place to post something on this forum.

I've been told that in addition to the 4 and 10 speaker systems, there was also an 8 speaker system for pre 97, pre Monsoon cars. I've been told that's what my car has, but my RPO code says otherwise. I've also read up on the Monsoon sticky, but I have no idea what my system consists of and what the differences are between the two.

What I've found out so far. I know it has the RPO code UW2, which is - speaker system, 10, quad frt dr mtd, dual rr sail. It has the component door panels, rear seat speakers, and speakers in the hatch and the radio is a cassette player. As far as improvements, I've been informed of Kee Audio and LTXtech, and there's always my go to Crutchfield.

At this point, my main questions consist of: A) What is the difference between the Monsoon and my system, B) What are the speaker sizes for all the speakers in my car, C) Since I plan on replacing/upgrading all of my factory speakers and radio, is there anything in the Monsoon system worth transplanting into my car (mainly any standalone amps or subs in the Monsoon that mine may not have, and are the speakers the same size), D) Do the hatch speakers have the same setup as the monsoon?

I'm really just trying to find the best starting point for the audio system (aka, most speakers/subs in the best positions and factory amps) since I'm not going to be doing any major audio work aside from maybe a couple of subs in the hatch. And on the topic of subs, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the rear seat speakers on the Monsoon subs while every other option has standard speakers?

Last topic, what about sub boxes for the hatch? I am not going to completely fill my hatch with speakers, especially since I have T-Tops, but I have seen the MTX Thunderform boxes that fit into the panels in the hatch that otherwise aren't being used. My problem is that I like the idea of having those on both sides, but the Thunderforms only come in a setup for the drivers side. So does anyone know of a custom fit box like those that come for both sides and have a good build quality and fit?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully I'll finally get all my questions cleared up by the people who know these things best.

As always, thanks for any help offered.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Whoever told you you have an 8-speaker factory system was wrong - there was never an 8-speaker system available in 4th generation Firebird coupes. A base 4-speaker system was available in all 93-02 Firebirds. The premium sound system from 93 through 96 was the 10-speaker system with amplified subwoofers in the sail panels. The premium system from 97 through 02 was the 10-speaker Monsoon which had all except the door and hatch tweeters amplified.

Other than the amplification, the early 10-speaker and later Monsoon were basically identical in design - same speaker types in the same locations - so shopping replacement speakers is the same for both systems. Anything recommended for a Monsoon system will work with your 10-speaker system.

While the Monsson system can be made to sound pretty good with an aftermarket head unit and better speakers, it is not good enough to be worth the trouble of installing in a non-Monsoon car. If your current system is not enough (even after adding a sub/stealthbox) then you would be better off to replace and rewire the entire system.

Quick Reply: Narrowing The Search