Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Autotrix express down questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autotrix express down questions

Question for the folks who have used the Autotrix window stuff. My Formula has factory express down for the drivers window - and obviously not for the passenger. I see that Autotrix makes a driver express down kit. How does that differ from the factory express down?

I do need to replace my passenger window motor - and think the passenger wiring kit would be a good idea to keep the new motor working properly longer (am I wrong?) - and the passenger express down seems like a good idea - but like I said...little unsure on what the driver express down kit from Autotrix does.

And yes, I've read about the "permanent fix" that involves soldering in an 8 ga wire. At this point the car is 16 years old and I'd rather just put a motor in the pass side (and will probably do the driver side at the same time just for good measure).

Last edited by FormulaZR; 04-07-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I put the regular autotrix kit in for my passenger window on my old 98 when it would barely make it to the top and didn't even replace the motor, and it worked better than new after I did that. It was cheaper than the motor and I didn't have to drill out the old motor. Sometimes the motor still needs replaced if it is really shot but still worth it IMO.

The way the factory express down works is it waits until the motor bottoms out and the current spikes, which trips the circuit. A bit hard on things to do it that way. Autotrix uses a more modern method of using a hall effect sensor (I think it is called that) which doesn't rely on an overload condition to stop the power.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
FWIW, I put the regular autotrix kit in for my passenger window on my old 98 when it would barely make it to the top and didn't even replace the motor, and it worked better than new after I did that. It was cheaper than the motor and I didn't have to drill out the old motor. Sometimes the motor still needs replaced if it is really shot but still worth it IMO.

The way the factory express down works is it waits until the motor bottoms out and the current spikes, which trips the circuit. A bit hard on things to do it that way. Autotrix uses a more modern method of using a hall effect sensor (I think it is called that) which doesn't rely on an overload condition to stop the power.
Haha that's why I always press the button right before it bottoms out!!!

Quick Reply: Autotrix express down questions