Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Another "what speaker" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another "what speaker" thread...

So, here's my situation...'00 SS vert. Car had Monsoon, previous owner yanked it out before I bought it. I currently have:

- JVC NSX700 headunit
- Memphis Belle MCH-600 5 channel amp (specs attached)
- (4) Orion C63 6.25" coaxial speakers (specs attached)
- (1) 12" Mempis Audio sub 15-MS124D (specs attached)

Basically, I went through an exercise to add some sound insulation to my doors, and as a byproduct was hoping it'd help my cabin speaker sound quality. I basically have like no bass coming out of these things. They seem to focus on the high's. I get the feeling these are just some cheap Best Buy speakers from 2005 or something. I don't see any bass blockers or anything set up.

I really don't want to break the bank...let's set a $200 max budget, but if I can keep it lower that'd be great. I am looking to get great all around sound as I listen to a variety of music. I have the sub to handle the really deep lows. I am thinking I need something to handle the midbass a lot better. I've seen Kee's convertible packages and am sure they are great, but they are more than I'd like to spend. I also don't know where I start to hit the point of diminishing returns...I'm not an audiophile, I just want these to sound good. Hell, my base audio setup in my 2014 Sierra sounds a million times better to me than these Orions do.

Are these pretty much crap coaxials? What sounds good in a Camaro 'vert door/quarter and would match my amp/sub well? I plan on putting the su in a sealed box...right now it's in a ported box that doesn't even come close to the MFG's specifications. I'm not opposed to components, but I'm not sure where I'd mount the tweeter - maybe the defrost vent on the A-pillar if they are small enough? For simplicity, another coaxial would be great.

Coaxials

Sub

Amp

Quick Reply: Another "what speaker" thread...