Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Reconnected factory amp system, sound is faint and hissy. Please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Reconnected factory amp system, sound is faint and hissy. Please help :(

I'm officially stumped.

Backstory on the situation is the car had a really old amplifier and aftermarket headunit installed that were slightly older than the car itself. The car is an '01 SS Camaro and a convertible.

I only listened to the stereo in the car once, when I first got it almost a year ago today. After I got the car back to Texas, it sat for months, and when I started driving it I decided I would get a new, updated headunit. Headunit is a Pioneer DEH-X6700BT.

I installed it and no sound. That's when I realized there was an amplifier underneath a ton of junk in the trunk. I removed the entire amplifier system out of the car the other day, every last wire from underneath the carpet to the engine bay. I then soldered every wire from the factory harness back to the factory connector that had been cut when the previous amp had been installed, thinking that would restore everything back to stock.

Now there is sound coming from 3 of the 4 speakers, but it's very quiet and static-sounding. At full blast the sound only barely increases but the hiss gets a lot worse.

I checked fuses, played around with settings for the stereo etc but I have officially had my *** kicked, which especially sucks with this extreme heat and humidity after all of that work

Please give me some advice, the car already has no AC, I can't stand to not have stereo too

Thank you so much!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 AM
TECH Resident

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe THAT's why the previous owner installed an amp ? The factory amp could be shot...
Old 08-16-2015, 04:05 AM
TECH Resident

The previous owner was my best friend who passed away, so I know that's not why. He did it on a whim with an amp that had been laying around in his garage for far too long.

Anyone have anything on this? Still never made any progress with it, and it really sucks :\

Quick Reply: Reconnected factory amp system, sound is faint and hissy. Please help :(