Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 Trans Am radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am radio problems

I've got a radio issue. It is changing stations by itself. Also, when playing a CD, it switches songs. Anybody ever have this problem? It's the stock Monsoon radio. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but the gas gauge doesn't want to move sometimes. It will go to empty and my check gauge light comes on. It's not stuck there though. Any suggestions on how to fix these problems?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Regarding the radio, my guess would be either an internal problem or a problem with the steering wheel controls.

Do you have steering wheel controls? If so, unplug the connector from the back of the radio and see if the problem stops. If that is the problem, then you'll have to see if there is a break in a wire somewhere or damage to the steering contact ring.

As for the gas gauge, that could be related. Any other symptoms with any other gauges or dash lighting? There could be a bad ground or a short going on that affects both. Does the radio act odd at the same time as the gas gauge?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:29 PM

Yes, there are radio controls on the steering wheel. I'll have to have someone look at the connector. Thank you. I haven't noticed the gas gauge messing up at the same time as the radio. My windshield wiper control used to act up, but it hasn't in quite some time now. The gas gauge is the only gauge acting up at the moment. I'll have the ground checked and see what happens. Thank you so much.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have the RDM turned on or maybe the seek function on?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:01 AM

I checked both RDM & Seek, they weren't on. Neither my radio or CD has acted up in the past few days, but the gas gauge did yesterday. In all the 'birds that I've owned, I've never had this problem. Thank you for all your input. Appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There's also the possibility that your battery has a dead cell which can cause the gauges and other electronics to do weird things, but still show the proper voltage on the gauge. This is more prone to happening especially if you've had the battery for a good while.
Furthermore I've had this happen twice, both with different batteries over the last 17yrs.

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am radio problems