Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

7" Android Head Unit Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
After about 9 months finally decided on a reverse camera. I have my 99 led plate light so my choices were limited. I ha e wires ran for it all already when I installed the sub just need to install this now and see how it looks. Only thing I'm concerned about is my plate light being too bright. I suppose if looks good, I can always turn off headlights when I put in reverse at night
Nice, Yeah I bought the Audi Backup Camera. Never got chance to install it before I put the car up for storage. This spring though, I like how that one looks although I do worry about theft.

Ty McBride
Team Leader/Owner
McBride Motorsports
Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just gave me something to look forward to when mine gets here in the mail.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:56 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

This is a tremendous post. I think I'm going to order one of these Chinese carblets.

Also, it looks like the version the OP installed was updated with Android 5.1.

They also have an Intel Atom powered version with more RAM. But Atom and Android apps don't always play nice.

My question is, does this have RCA outputs for an amplifier? I couldn't tell what the hell it had on the back. It looked like it had preamp outputs for everything as standard for the speakers.

Last edited by JakeFusion; 11-23-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
This is a tremendous post. I think I'm going to order one of these Chinese carblets.

Also, it looks like the version the OP installed was updated with Android 5.1.

They also have an Intel Atom powered version with more RAM. But Atom and Android apps don't always play nice.

My question is, does this have RCA outputs for an amplifier? I couldn't tell what the hell it had on the back. It looked like it had preamp outputs for everything as standard for the speakers.
I'm still on KitKat and I love being up-to-date on my android stuff, but in all honesty I don't care on this. 90% of the time PowerAmp is on the screen so I don't notice.

I hope to have my reverse camera hooked up over the holidays.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I don't think you can buy the KitKat version. At least it wasn't available on Amazon. Took you to the Lollipop version.

I have a 5-channel Amp (not Monsoon)... does this have the preamp outputs? Or does it just use RCA for everything anyway and I can just rig those up?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I don't think you can buy the KitKat version. At least it wasn't available on Amazon. Took you to the Lollipop version.

I have a 5-channel Amp (not Monsoon)... does this have the preamp outputs? Or does it just use RCA for everything anyway and I can just rig those up?
I have KitKat, but I've had it for awhile. Lollipop just came out when I got mine, but was more expensive through another brand. Joying said they will release Lollipop update for mine, but I never bothered to check again. I'm content with KitKat since I mainly keep it on PowerAmp.

Sorry I forgot to answer the RCA question. Yes it has front, rear and sub outputs so you'd be all good.

Name:  Joying%20JY-UQ130%20Rear.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  118.0 KB
Old 11-23-2016, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can order directly from them. There's at least 1 person on here that ordered from them and I don't think it took very long to get it. Maybe they'll chime in.

Here's mine directly from Joying.
https://www.carjoying.com/special-of...on-system.html
Old 11-24-2016, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine on a Monday directly from them and got it on Thursday
Old 11-24-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm installing my reverse camera, this SOB is is bitch to run the wires through the bumper.... Anyone know of an easier way to route wires inside car?
Old 11-25-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I eventually got it. Wasnt as easy as I hoped. I tagged the reverse lights for power and ended since I already had 2 pairs of wires ran to the front behind the radio and soldered on the RCA plugs to each end of 1 pair and used 1 wire from reverse positive for the wire labeled "back". I really dig this camera, it hides really well.

I tried uploading pictures to the forum but it won't allow me too, keeps saying wrong format for some reason. I'll share pics when I get to a computer.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Trying again. This camera works alot better than expected, feels good have a reverse camera again. I learned you can also turn on/off the back up grid as well.
Attached Thumbnails 7" Android Head Unit Review-img_20161125_140024.jpg   7" Android Head Unit Review-img_20161125_134526.jpg   7" Android Head Unit Review-img_20161125_022813.jpg  
Old 11-29-2016, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered mine directly through them and had it in a week or less as well. I agree on the upgrade - I saw something where the KitKat owners could send theirs in to be upgraded (some hardware upgrade was needed), but I really see no need to do it.

InfiniteReality - could you do a brief writeup (or link to some existing instructions) on how you got CarService working? I can't figure it out for the life of me, and I'd really like to get my steering wheel controls working with apps other than the native music player.

On that note as well - I followed the video posted earlier in this thread on hooking up the steering wheel controls. Any solutions to how a couple of the buttons output the same resistance and are duplicative? My previous JVC stereo had no issues with recognizing the different buttons - maybe using a different HU manufacturer (Didn't the video recommend Pioneer or something?) on the SWI would allow the Joying to recognize each button individually?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, also - I can't figure out what sequence of events causes it, but I do lose functionality of the physical volume **** from time to time. A quick reboot of the HU and it functions correctly again. Hasn't happened too often, and when it does, the steering wheel controls still work. I haven't been able to find a common sequence of events that causes it (I am sure there is one and it isn't random - I just haven't noticed what it is yet as it's so infrequent).
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Ordered mine directly through them and had it in a week or less as well. I agree on the upgrade - I saw something where the KitKat owners could send theirs in to be upgraded (some hardware upgrade was needed), but I really see no need to do it.

InfiniteReality - could you do a brief writeup (or link to some existing instructions) on how you got CarService working? I can't figure it out for the life of me, and I'd really like to get my steering wheel controls working with apps other than the native music player.

On that note as well - I followed the video posted earlier in this thread on hooking up the steering wheel controls. Any solutions to how a couple of the buttons output the same resistance and are duplicative? My previous JVC stereo had no issues with recognizing the different buttons - maybe using a different HU manufacturer (Didn't the video recommend Pioneer or something?) on the SWI would allow the Joying to recognize each button individually?
Honestly all I did was install it. It's been too long since I installed to do a write-up, but it seemed pretty straight forward and app was intuitive. I think you may still have to go into HU settings and set the buttons maybe. I do know right after the HU boots up it takes it several minutes to actually allow me to operate the track up/down part. I'm not sure why so long after, but seemed to be typical.

I remember reading about the upgrade before it was released, but sounded like (at the time) it was just software upgrade. I do know for sure the CarService app doesn't play nice with Lollipop for whatever reason and the author doesn't support it not long after I donated to him which is BS I think.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply - I'll try reinstalling. I had installed it, and it wasn't working - seemed like it wanted some additional setup that I couldn't figure out. I'll give it another shot while the car is layed up in the garage over the winter.

Good to know it doesn't like Lollipop - one more reason for me just to keep with KitKat! I do need to contact Joying about the maps software, and I was thinking of doing the mod to disable the onboard mic as it seems doing so allows more clarity for bluetooth conversations.

For what it's worth, to anyone on the fence - I love it despite a few little glitches or frustrations. My lease on my truck is up in March, and I am planning to buy a cheap beater 4x4 to replace it - already told the wife it's mandatory that I put one of these units in so I can stand driving something older and more beat up. It really modernizes the car!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try removing, rebooting and reinstalling. Assuming I remember, I'll snap a pic of settings on mine to share.

Totally agree, short of a couple little annoyances I love this HU. There's no doubt I'd likely have more with mainstream manufacturers due to not being customizable and how horribly slow they are... Plus the cost for the high end ones. I'll never have anything less than an android HU.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had any issues with mine other then the volume cutting out which was tracked down to something with the factor amp. I haven't had any time to really dig into the issue. I know if its been cold out it seems to function a lot slower for around 5min after initial boot. Of course that could all just be in my head.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't noticed any difference in speed when it's cold, but probably due to me typically remote starting my car, lol.

I hope to get a 4 channel amp to replace the Monsoon amp, so I'm curious how it'll sound afterwards with the HU.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been researching these Joying Headunits. Has anyone heard of any compatibility issues with the new 2GB RAM models running the Intel Atom chip? Otherwise everything looks the same. Still need the bezel, metra harness and antenna adapter.

How are you wiring the reverse cameras? Power from a reverse light and routing the video cables up the headunit through the passenger side of the car?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cptobviouss
How are you wiring the reverse cameras? Power from a reverse light and routing the video cables up the headunit through the passenger side of the car?

Yes power from reverse lights and routing video to headunit on driver's side due to my power cables being on passenger side. You can see my setup a few posts back.

Quick Reply: 7" Android Head Unit Review