Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fuse Box on Drivers side dash HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Box on Drivers side dash HELP!

Long story short, is it possible to remove the fuse box on the drivers side dash without having to remove the entire dash? My only idea is to remove the bezel and headlight switch to the left of the steering wheel. which gives a good view of the fuse box, but I fear the box is too big to get through that opening.

I've searched every camaro forum and barely find any mention of the location of this fuse box. Everyone seems to have a discussion about the engine bay fuses and relocating them. This is the box that you need to open the drivers door to access the plastic cover.

Read on for the cause of why I'm trying to do this.

I have concluded that the #9 gauge fuse is shorting to ground somewhere in the bundle of wires. It started doing this 10 years ago, blowing a fuse randomly and infrequently. The problem is that the #9 fuse controls more than the gauges. The car will not start if this connection is not solid. Now if I jiggle the #9 fuse I can get the gauges to work and the car will start. The fact that I just barely push on the fuse to get it to act up, or in the other case to work suggests that putting pressure on it is making a frayed wire come in and out of contact with a ground source.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The fuse box is not a plug-in part. Each of the wires in the harness to the back of the fuse box is terminated with individual connectors in each of the slots. It is possible to pull the fuse box through the dash opening far enough to get at the back side or to pull it down below the dash (using significant wiggling) but you can't just unplug it and pull it out.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, thank you. That is what I wanted to know. If the gauge fuse is in fact the culprit, being able to see the back of the box would help diagnose what needs to be re-wired. I assumed it wasn't a quick disconnect under the dash, but I couldn't be sure.

Quick Reply: Fuse Box on Drivers side dash HELP!