Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Odd DRL/Blinker problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Odd DRL/Blinker problem

*PLEASE READ CAREFULLY* - I have looked at NUMEROUS other DRL threads, but can't fine one with my exact issue! I hope someone knows what's going on. I did lots of trouble shooting so far:

Issue:

Right side parking light/DRL/Blinker (when light **** is set to the middle) does not turn on.

Right side parking light/DRL/Blinker (when **** is set to the very right) does not turn on, but headlights flip up and light on as they are supposed to.

Right side parking light/DRL/Blinker (when hitting unlock/lock button on remote) does not turn on.

DRL Module you ask?

Troubleshooting: E-brakes disengaged. Head lights off. Ignition ON. DRL's both turn on very bright just fine.

What about my left side?

Everything works fine as it is supposed to.

In normal English:

My right side blinker/drl flashes/turns on just fine. The only issue I'm having that I can't figure out, is the fact that my right side parking lights don't work when the **** is set to them middle (parking lights) or when my **** is turnd to the very right (headlights up and on), or when I hit the lock/unlock button on my key FOB.

My DRL's otherwise work just fine, both right and left side turn on bright as they are supposed to. Usually people have the OPPOSITE problem...usually their DRL's don't turn on...but mine turn on just fine. Both my turn signals work just fine.

HELP!! D:

What have I tried so far?

Thoroughly cleaning the sockets. Switching bulbs around. Both bulbs function perfectly on the left side DRL/Blink/Parking light. Could it STILL be my DRL Module? Doesn't the above scenario rule out a DRL Module issue? Could it STILL be a bad socket, wouldnt' the above scenarios rule out a bad socket?

Last edited by AndyTA; 09-12-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This has nothing to do with DRLs or the DRL module. What you are talking about is the parking light filament of the dual filament front bulb (the DRLs and turn signals use the other, brighter filament).

The parking light circuit is powered on the brown wire at the socket and shares the ground (black wire) with the DRL/turn signal circuit (blue wire). Since you have eliminated the bulb by swapping it and we know the ground is good because the signals work, the problem is with the power feed for the parking light. It's either the contacts in the socket (unlikely since you replaced it) or the connection of the brown wire to the socket... I'd check that first.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whitebird00,

Just the man I was hoping would respond. Before sitting back down to reply/read, I took another look at the socket. Although I cleaned it, it is possible I found the culprit. There is a small part of the socket (the small metal filament) that may have possibly chipped off. I wouldn't have caught this with my cleaning, I was only able to catch this broken filament (if it is truly broken) because I decided to take the whole socket apart...

I'll respond here in a minute. I just went out and purchased a continuity tester ($6), and will see if that is truly the culprit.

Thanks again for your response, and it helps to know the DRL module is *not* responsible for this.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup, that's what it was. Continuity tester applied to the middle prong before the inner socket was removed, while parking lights were on, failed the test. Then I removed the inner socket, removed the metal center prong, took the wire out, and the tester lit up like fireworks.

Stupid garbage. It broke in the one place that would stop it from working of course.Anyway, new socket solved the issue, where cleaning did not.

Quick Reply: Odd DRL/Blinker problem