Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring diagram?

Anyone know where on the net i can find the interior fusebox wiring diagram, I have something shorting out and blowing my #7 fuse(pwr accy).

All I know is that without it my stereo doesn't work(the reason i drive), odometer is focked(very bad thing), the trunk release doesn't work(have to use key), and my lights dont flash when I arm the alarm.

Oh its a 97 3.8(please don't flame my car).
Old 07-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your cigarette lighter socket and see if there is a coin in it . my phone adapter doesn't fit quite right in the socket and will pop the fuse . same designated fuse, same symptoms other than the speedo (mine's cable driven.) the color of the wire in question is orange BTW.your cig socket is right in an area where a coin or something else metal could fall in it and cause a direct short to ground or you might even have a bad cig lighter element , that would do it , too.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Ok but my cig lighter still works. I will check it though.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip badjuju342 I checked it out and everything with the cig lighter is in order and it works, I haven't checked the accessory socket yet, I will have to check that tomorrow.

Anyone else have any Ideas, I am about at my wits end.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Voided_1
Thanks for the tip badjuju342 I checked it out and everything with the cig lighter is in order and it works, I haven't checked the accessory socket yet, I will have to check that tomorrow.

Anyone else have any Ideas, I am about at my wits end.
Don't bother checking the accessory socket - it's not on the same circuit (the cig lighter wasn't either).

The PWR ACCY fuse routes through the main instrument panel harness to the following items: theft deterrent relay, hatch release relay, outside mirror switch, theft deterrent shock sensor, radio, and instrument cluster. The wire is orange for all of those circuits. Have you recently added any accessories in those areas that might be causing a short? Or tapped into an orange wire somewhere?

Otherwise, there are two ways to find out what is causing the problem - the quick and dangerous way or the slow and safe way. The quick and dangerous way is to replace the fuse with a piece of heavy gauge wire and then look for where the smoke comes from (just kidding ). The slow and safe way is to take a test light or multimeter and start checking those circuits for a short to ground.

Did you notice anything unusual before this happened? Did the hatch release or the alarm stop working or anything like that? If so, that would be the first place to look.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Teching In

No nothing went out until the fuse popped, the only thing I moved was the box that hangs behind the headunit because it was in the way when I installed the new one. I guess I will have to get behind the console and find that orange wire.