Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tail Lps fuse problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Lps fuse problem

Okay, I have done a search and tried a few things but this thing has me stumped.

A Few months ago I blew the Tail lps fuse. I replaced it and blew it again the next day. Replaced it again and have had no problems since then untill today.

It blew again today. Every time it has gone out it has been when I manually turned the lights on.

I replaced the fuse and it was fine for a little while and then it blew again. I cannot even replace the fuse now. With the key off when I go to push the new fuse in it pops as soon as it makes contact. I tried disconnecting the battery and replacing the fuse but as soon as I hook the battery back up the fuse pops.

I checked the wiring harnesses for the tail lights and all looks good. All accesories that I have hooked up are my Tach/Nitrous/line lock/Air-Fuel gauge. These all still work when the fuse is blown.
The headlights work when I drop the e-brake but only the headlights. No marker lights. No bulbs are blown.

Could my headlight switch be fried? Or could it be the DRL sensor?
Is there any way to completely disabel/bypass the DRL?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I had all of the bases covered for someone else trying to figure this out.

Thanks!
Brad
Old 08-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

DRLs have no connection to the tail light circuit. It could be the switch. Try pulling out the switch, disconnect the harness plug, put a new fuse in then carefully jump the red hot wire to the brown parking light wire. If the fuse blows again then you have a short someplace in the circuit. If not then the switch is the problem.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks man. I will try that when I get home n post up the results.

Brad
Old 08-22-2004, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Default Found The Problem!

Well the switch was not the problem but I replaced it anyways.

I found the problem today. some wires from the DRL Module had rubbed against something and wore down through the insulation. Of couse then it shorted out. The more it shorted the worse it got.

Here is a PIC

Thanks for the help!
Brad
Attached Thumbnails Tail Lps fuse problem-22202710.jpg