Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installing head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing head unit

on the back of the stock HU, there is a plastic pointy thing that goes into a piece of plastic behind the dash. that little plastic thingy is preventing my new HU from going all the way in. is this common? what's the best way to break that piece off?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone? i can't get the new HU to sit in right with the metra 3300 kit. it seems that little plastic piece is going to need to be broken off, but i've not heard of breaking this, so surely there's another way?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup,

It's common. You can either break it off (I used some tin snips) or you can use the other metra kit that has the radio sticking out of the bezel more.

Russell
Old 09-09-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuffluck
on the back of the stock HU, there is a plastic pointy thing that goes into a piece of plastic behind the dash. that little plastic thingy is preventing my new HU from going all the way in. is this common? what's the best way to break that piece off?
My dremel cut through it like butter
Old 09-13-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used tin snips also and just ate away at it until it was out of the way. Baffled the hell out of me as to why the HU wouldn't slide in until I looked back, was doing install at night, and saw that bracket back there.