Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon troubleshooters - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monsoon troubleshooters - HELP!

Monsoon sounded fine until the other day - seems like the tweeters in the door speakers and all the sound from the rear speakers is gone. When I fade to the back, all I hear is the sail panel subs and when I fade forward the sound is very muddy. Are the door tweeters and rear speakers run off the head unit, while the other stuff is off the Monsoon amp?

Are there any fuses or other quick things I should check before I fork over my $100 deductible and deal with my extended warrantee(I know this will be a nightmare)? I've done quite a few installs so I'm not afraid to dig into the dash, etc and I'd rather fix it myself if possible.

A few weeks ago I heard a faint buzzing or crackling sound coming from the dash, near the HU, then it went away-maybe somethings fried in there? I do play the system loud, but not to the point of distortion, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

ttt.

No one else has had this happen? Someone at least confirm my belief that my HU is toast!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never experienced that. Perhaps the portion of the Monsoon amp that plays the vocals & highs have burned out. I don't know for sure though.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by peteZ
Monsoon sounded fine until the other day - seems like the tweeters in the door speakers and all the sound from the rear speakers is gone. When I fade to the back, all I hear is the sail panel subs and when I fade forward the sound is very muddy. Are the door tweeters and rear speakers run off the head unit, while the other stuff is off the Monsoon amp?
Yes, the front and rear tweeters are run directly from the head unit while the other speakers are powered by the external amp.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the confirmation WhiteBird. I thought I had read that somewhere.

Check this out: Today, I start the car(with the radio on) and I start hearing a crackling sound from the rear speakers. Sure as ****, the rears start working and the crackling fades away(after a few minutes). The front highs still don't work, though. I guess the HU is junk. Time to fight with the warrantee company!