Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Death to the Monsoon: Help me pick a full system

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death to the Monsoon: Help me pick a full system

Hey guys,

Recently my monsoon blew out some speakers, and instead of just replacing them I have decided to replace my whole system and do it right.

I am on a budget, but I really want a MP3 HU. I have been looking at some of these HUs, let me know what you think.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AK3XgWR...300&I=133C5410
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AK3XgWR...0&I=130DEHP760
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AK3XgWR...300&I=133C8400

I would be buying wholesale online to save money of course.

Now as for speakers I am pretty much clueless, I don't want to spend alot of money, and I want to power them off of the HU for now. How do these look for my fronts?

http://www.thezeb.com/p-Blaupunkt-PC...tem-106708.htm

They are pretty cheap, and should sound good, my sister has blaupunkt speakers in her car and they sound decent enough for me.

Any recommendations for rear speakers? I am pretty much clueless as far as what to put in the back.

Also for my fronts, do i need 6.5s or 6.75s because i've heard that the f-body has bigger openings that 6.5s.

Thanks alot guys, and any help is great.

Derek
Old 11-08-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

My girl has the Premier version of that Pioneer deck... very nice piece. I've got a slightly older model that doesn't do MP3, but I haven't put it in yet... Maybe this week depending.

As far as the speakers, I'd seriously just go with the alpines that RougeLeader suggested. I found mine for dirt cheap off of eBay.

I got 6.5's for the front and they fit fine. I think it's the subs that are oversized, but my RFP4406's fit fine in there, too. They're the only thing I amped, everything else is going to run off the HU. I'll post how it sounds when I get done.

The only part that sucks about this project is rewiring the whole car to get rid of the Monsoon... I'll definiately be glad when I'm done, though.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Teching In

i dont know what your budget is but look into the eclipse HU's they are by far the best HU's around. also check out elemental design for subs, amps, and components. you can get a full system from ED for like 850 with two subs, two amps and a set of components if you check the eD package deals part of www.edesignaudio.com . For you to get the best soundstaging only do your front speakers and get rid of the rears (they are just fill and really throw off the soundstage).
Old 11-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Launching!

I dont know what your budget is either you should post that.No matter what it is Always and I mean always check E-bay prices compared to retail.they are about half as much.Aslong as you buy from a seller with a high feed back you cant go wrong.I picked up a alpine iva-d900 for 1200 shipped.my alpine component speakers 176-a for 125,my alpine coaxial 170 for around 120.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Teching In

if you go the e-bay rout you also need to look for terms like not tested, sold as is, and other things that might let you in on the fact that there is something wrong whith what they are selling.