Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

any way to install double din reciver in our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any way to install double din reciver in our cars?

I ran across this on ebay and was wonering if there is anything I can do to get it to fit.

EDIT: The link doesn't work anymore. It's a Kenwood DDX-7015 6.5 touchsreen.

If you remove the dash plate, you'll see there is plenty of room for a double din reciever. My question: Is the wiring going to be any different, or is it just the size of the chassis I have to worry about?

I was thinking of relocating the asr and foglight switches to the little cubby hole using the convertible top switchplate. Then I could cut or custom fabricate another dash plate that would allow for a larger opening for the double din reciever.

The only problems I can forsee in doing so is

1) the 1.5 din wiring may not support a double din unit, and
2) I may have some trouble mounting the unit itself. Will I have to fabricate mounting brackets also, or is there enough adjustability in the double din mounting kit?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by kpowr82; 11-30-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

the wiring is the same. Just needs some bracket and panel fab.. I plan to put a 10" touch screen there.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Teching In

How much would it run to get a trim piece fabricated for a doble din reciever? I'm wanting to put a 7" dvd/cd player in that isn't a flip out.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

This is exactly what I am trying to do. I know a guy who owns a 3D laser cutting shop (if that's what you call 'em). I'm gonna fab a piece of cardboard and see if he can cut me something out of stainless working from the cardboard cut out I give him. Worse comes to worst, I can always cut up some of that heavy duty cardboard they use for our interior door trim and upholster it with some vinyl that will match the doors and the dash.