Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Voltage Surges... HO Alternator Sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Voltage Surges... HO Alternator Sucks...

Installed a 3400 stall Sunday and afterwards the alternator wasn't charging. I had a 180amp East Coast Alternator on it so I swapped the stock one back on and it was charging again. Everything seems fine except when I rev the car and when the RPMs were going back down to idle it seems to want to die. It doesn't actually die, but acts like it wants to. Also at idle you can watch the voltage needle surge a little bit too. This is when the A/C is off as well. Why is this or what could cause this??

On another note, this East Coast Alternator has been nothing but a PITA. It's been on the car 3 times. First time it wasn't spinning fast enough so the voltage slowly dropped over a 20 min period at idling. Put stock back on cause I couldn't get a call back from them for 2 days and needed my car. They finally did call back and found the problem so they sent me a smallest pulley they had and it was better, but at idle the needle barely sat above the red line. Then the belt started slipping, so had to get another slightly smaller belt. My stock alternator/belt charged better at idle than this POS. And now it's not charging at all. They told me to send it back to be tested and replaced if it's bad. This alternator has been one huge headache! I hope I just got a bad apple and the new one will work like it's intended too.

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 09-20-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that does suck! I hope all works out for ya.