Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory alarm/security system question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory alarm/security system question

2000 Trans Am with factory alarm/keyless system...

Every once in a while I go to start my car and the starter seems to be disabled by the alarm system. The yellow security light is on on the dash and it will not turn over. If I wait about 3 or 4 minutes, I am then able to start the car just fine. Am I doing something that triggers the starter kill? Every time it has happened, the alarm was not even active before I got in the car and tried to start it.

Thanks for any info...
Old 10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The security light on the dash is unrelated to the alarm system. It is an indicator for the PASS-Key vehicle anti-theft system. When the security light goes on and stays on it means that the system doesn't recognize the ignition key you're using. The car will not start for at least three minutes, even with another key.

The most common cause of this problem is dirty contacts on the resistor pellet in the ignition key. Two ways to clean it are a pencil eraser or rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't solve the problem, try your other key. It's also possible that the contacts inside the ignition switch are dirty - they are harder to clean but a can of spray contact cleaner from Radio Shack will often do the trick.