Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Speakers?

I am wanting to replace a couple blown speakers and i have heard that you need factory speakers with the factory monsoon amp. Is there a way to put aftermarket speakers in while maintaining good sound.
-Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

I've been looking to upgrade my monsoon speakers too. What I have seen is Alpines with modifications work good and #1 on my list is the Infinity kappa 62.7i. The Alpines are 4ohm, but the Infinity are 2ohm. Since the monsoon amp runs all the 6.5's at 2ohm, I would think the Infinity would work great. Also I seen on another post there is no modifications to do with the Infinity 62.7i, said they hook up like stock. I have Infinity reference speakers in my other car and they sound great of deck power, so I'm sure the 62.7i's would sound great on the Monsoon amp.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Camaro front speakers are seperate speakers clued together. The tweeter is on top of the mid, front speakers.

The front 6.5 speaker is a 2ohm, but the tweeter is a 4ohm.

Aftermarket speakers will make a big differnce in audio sound.

I hooked up some after market front speakrs and tweeters and an aftermarket radio and they are still running on the stock moonson amp and I get lots better sound then with stock moonson radio and front speakers.

This is the door speaker.

This is the door speaker tweeter and you can see it is a 4ohm, while the other is a 2ohm, as seen in the picture up top.

You can see how the tweeter looks removed from the speaker, and you can see how it looks installed to the mid speaker.

These picture are the Camaro door speakers, from a 98 z28 with the moonson system.

Last edited by 98boxer; 11-18-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

good info thus far, but try checking out the STICKYs at the top of the forum... or doing a SEARCH. this will provide you with probably more than you need to know about replacing/upgrading/whatever... which is a good thing
Old 11-18-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Alpine SPS-170A's in the doors. I think they are a very good choice for upgrading the Monsoon system in the Camaro.

Some of the advantages:

1. Inexpensive at less than $100 a pair.
2. Coaxial design saves you from having to figure out how to mount a seperate tweeter.
3. Widely used as Monsoon speaker replacement. So there is lots of experience using them.

The only disadvantage is having to mod the speaker to drive the tweeter with the HU and the woofer with amplifier.

There are probably much better quality speakers out there, but if you're not planning on upgrading the amplifier and head unit, I see no need to spend alot of money on speakers.

Right now I'm waiting on my CX62's to replace my blown sail panel speakers. Unfortunately, they are on back-order.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HiTech gives good advice. Any speaker that you can bi-wire in the same fashion as factory is fine. Unfortunately not all aftermarket co-axials allow for this as some carry the tweeter wires straight through the cone.

Very sound advice to not spend much while keeping the factory deck and amp. They are not very good so a $300 set of components is a complete and total mismatch. Alpines work nicely and can be had for under $70 shipped. The only thing that is potentially damaging is using a less than 2 ohm woofer or a less than 4 ohm tweeter.

The ohm rating is one topic that comes up in nearly every thread. Are 2 ohm speakers ideal? Yup. Will running a 4 ohm speaker hurt anything? Nope. Will it still sound better? Yup. You won't get the same power from the amp, but the speaker is so much better in quality you end up far ahead regardless. It's most important to keep the bi-amp arrangement as the amp has built-in crossovers.

20 watts into a good 4 ohm speaker sounds better than 30 watts into a bad 2 ohm speaker. These aren't measured numbers from the amp but it's about what I suspect.

The Factory amp actually isn't that bad. If you send it a clean speaker level signal then it sounds pretty good. I have a kenwood deck driving the factory amp driving 4x Aplines, and the sound is actually very good. I have it like this until I rewire it for my 5 channel amp and subs in the spring... but the Monsoon amp is pushing at least as hard as a good head unit amp, and imho a good bit more. I A/B'd the h/u power against using the amp and the amp won.

1.) So the factory speakers are the biggest problem
2.) Then the h/u because it begins distorting before the Monsoon amp is at max vol.
3.) Then the amp tied with a full re-wire.

If I was trying to patch up a factory monsoon system... I would replace the doors with Alpine 170's and splice in a self powered bazooka or similar sub. This will sound better than factory and you won't be spending more money on replacing Monsoon drivers. You keep the rear hatch speakers for fill, and ditch the sail panel subs completely or maybe cap them to keep low low bass from them. Only downside is having to mount the sub somewhere.

I really struggle with people spending $100-200 just replacing monsoon speakers.

someone bought my 4 on ebay for $120!

Last edited by todddchi; 11-18-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive got the Alpine Alpine SPR-174A's in my 02 Camaro. They fit perfectly, everything lined up like it was made for the car and they sound great. I picked them up for 100$/pair from a non-sponsor.