Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DVD Players

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DVD Players

I'm in the market for a cheap in dash DVD player or at least one that can be mounted elsewhere.

I have no clue about this stuff and realize there is a huge price range on options here.

I've seen some for less than $200 (in dash) and some near $300, obviously much more expensive ones too. The budget here is limited around $250 would be great.

What's the main difference?
I don't need anything fancy, I just want something that will play DVDs without skipping/messing up, and have ok sound quality.
In fact I'm not a big audio person so even if the sound quality isn't top notch, fine by me, I can't tell the difference anyways.

I just want something that will work as it is supposed to work.

I've found a few here, any opinions?
Might have to copy/paste links
http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-5A-7-TFT-MOTO...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/224-7-TFT-LCD-In...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check my thread on touchscreen displays.

If you're going to buy a DVD player with a screen, even if its not a touchscreen, buying a cheapie brand like those would be a bad idea.

There are a few big things you want to look for in a deck....

first off, remember you get what you pay for, so if you buy a $200 DVD in dash with LCD, expect $200 quality and durrability.

second, I don't see any of these listed on the 2 you found

1. voltage out - most good decks are 3-4, some offer more (my kenwood for example has 5) - anything under 3, is usually cheap, the more voltage, the less ground noise it picks up, stronger signal = better quality sound. I've seen it more than once they would not list it, and it would be a 1volt out, which believe me sound horrible.

2. preamp outs - most good decks have 3, this is a must, make sure anything you buy has 3 preamp outs, (even some of the cheaper 200 dollar decks have 3 preamp outs, im just not sure about DVD's)

3. warranty... <-- big one for buying a cheaper deck. You dont want it to break and be out 200 bucks flat right?

One of the guys on here has the clarion DVD LCD, it's like 500 bucks or so and he loves it, and I know it's above average quality, but usually on these things, it's a good idea to spend the extra money and get what you pay for, even if you have to save, so what you buy doesn't break and cost you more money at the start.