Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

speedo cluster help please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default speedo cluster help please...

I need to replace my speedo cluster. Was installing LED lights, and it blew. Took it apart, fried wires. I think I should have soldered the LED's to it Anyways I need to get another cluster. You can see the runs (lines) burned in two in several places. How much should a new one cost, and what do I do about my odometer? Can I just plug and play a new speedo?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

how did u blow it?? the LEDs go into little holders and snap back into place. they are round pieces that hold the bulbs and have two prongs that connect to positive and negative. i dont understand how you blew the cluster.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

as far as the odo, if you get a whole new cluster, then you will have to get a dealership to change the mileage on the replacement cluster to the mileage on the broken one(assuming it still works at all). idk the best way to fix it or where to get one though
Old 11-27-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

there are clusters on ebay but like he said you will need to know the Odometer reading and if your cluster doesnt work then i dont know how they will fix that unless they can get it to work to read the Odometer.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

The cluster works just the lights don't. I don't know how it blew. Maybe cuz I didn't unplug batt when pulling cluster??? Dunno I have done it several times in past without pulling batt, but this time, I put in, and it started smoking took apart, and saw the lines burned on the board. Not sure what was up, so then I fixed it with some wire, soldered the led's to the board, and only half of board worked. Messed with some soldering some more and got frustrated. Would rather just replace the cluster.