Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Sail Panel Replacements Sound Terrible Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Aftermarket Sail Panel Replacements Sound Terrible Please Help.

Hi I just purchased a 99 T/A with the monsoon sound sytstem about a week ago but both of the sail panel subwoofers were blown so I bought a set of 6.5 Infinity Kappa 62.7 2 ohm 2 way speakers planning to use the woofers only as a relacement for my stock blown sail panel subwoofers so I took the stock woofers out and noticed that they are 4 ohm DVC's so I hooked the Infinity's up with both positive red factory wires hooked to the infinity's single positive and both factory black/red negative wires to the infinity single negative turned on the stereo and the bass sounds terrible the bass pops and breaks up really bad when I increase the volume level and after doing research I have found out that many f-body owners use these infinity's for door speakers not sail panel subwoofers so my question is can these speakers be used as sail subwoofer replacements and if so how are they supose to be wired? Or will I just have to use these as door replacement speakers and buy different sail panel replacement speakers? If so what kind of speaker should I look for,and how many ohms, and db's should I look for? I am suppose to be meeting a guy this friday who sells 4th gen f-body parts to buy a keyless entry remote fob for my T/A and he says that he has some factory sail panel subs but I know that factory subs are expensise and for less money I could get a better quality aftermarket replacement so all and any help would be a preciated. Thanks In Advance
Old 11-30-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to here you're having problems. I think the 2-ohm Kappa's would be better suited to a Camaro Monsoon setup which have 2-ohm SVC stock speakers in the sail panels.

Things I'd try:

1. Double check the wire path to the amplifier. Making sure you have the (+) and (-) leads properly identified. I'd not trust the wire colors. The Monsoon FAQ has a link to the Amplifier pinout.

2. Try using different combinations of one (+) wire and one (-) and see if you can find a combination that sounds better. Leave the other 2 wires unterminated.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

just use the long wires and leave out the short wires
Old 11-30-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys for all of your help I re installed the infinity speakers just using the 2 two long wires but the infinity's still don't give out alot of bass so basically they suck but its my fault I guess for picking out a 2-way spaeker to use for bass I guess they weren't designed to produce alot of bass so im going to buy two more 6 1/2 inch speakers and just use these to replace my factory door speakers so to anyone who wants to replace thier factory sail pannel woofers dont buy infinity 62.7 because they don't produce alot of bass infact factory subs produce better bass quality but they are not bad speakers just not good for bass but I have one more question because I don't want to make the samne mistake twice what sould I look for in a woofer replacement this time in terms of voice coils, ohms, db's, and watts i'm not looking for anything special just an aftermarket speaker that produces more bass than factory and don't cost alot of money I would like for them to be cheaper than the infinity's they cost me $100 if thats an option. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually they can hit pretty decent bass notes for a 6.5", its just the way how the monsoon system is setup. The reason its still not put out much bass, is because you only have one voice coil running instead of two.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you were expecting more thump than the stock speakers, you're never going to get from a 6.5" speaker. It has nothing to do with using SVC versus DVC speaker.

Although, I'd be careful cranking the volume up too high. Indications are that the 2 pairs going to that speaker are isolated channels (not sure why they did it that way), so you're pulling twice the current thru that one pair than it would normally see.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

So no matter what Aftermarket 6.5 I choose it wont produce more bass than the factory ones okay I'll see if the guy that i'm going to meet friday has some in good condition at a good price. Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1999BlueTA
So no matter what Aftermarket 6.5 I choose it wont produce more bass than the factory ones okay I'll see if the guy that i'm going to meet friday has some in good condition at a good price. Thanks
With aftermarket speakers, you'll get superior sound quality and greater reliability (less likely to crap out on you, again) than stock Monsoon speakers. But, you are not going to get a tremendous amount of bass from any 6.5 inch speaker. I wouldn't bother trading the Kappa's. There's nothing wrong with them.

If you want more bass, add a true sub-woofer and an single channel amp to your system. You can use the wires to the rear hatch speakers for the input. I'd bridge the sub input accross both left and right rear channels for a balanced sound.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, I just spent a long time explaining everything and my computer messed up before I could send it... I really don't feel like retyping everything so I'll just give a brief overview.

The factory amp is using one channel per 4 ohm voice coil. So each channel is seeing 4 ohms. The way you have it wired 2 channels of the amp are sharing a 2 ohm load so each channel is seeing a 1 ohm load. In theory its "trying" to put out 4x the power at 1 ohm as it would at 4 ohms. More than likely all its doing is making alot more heat and causing the amp to clip or put out DC current. This will kill both your amp and speakers. As HiTechGent suggested the factory amp probably wasn't ment to be bridged anyway.

A decent 10" sub and a small aftermarket amp should sound alot better than those factory subs. If you put more factory subs back in it then sooner or later they will probably go out too. My Camaro was a year old when I got it and one of the factory subs was already blown.