Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sound Deadening

The thread about the Dynamat got my curiosity going.Those of you that have used or plan to use sound deadening material which one do you plan on using.Or does anyone have any first hand experience with the different sound deadening materials?

A quick google came up with a bunch of different makers.

http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa....com%3Fgoogle2

http://www.dynamat.com/

http://www.b-quiet.com/

There's alot more but you get the idea.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder which one weighs the least but still works pretty well. I'd like to quiet my car down a little bit since it is a DD but not willing to sacrifice 100 pounds extra to make it quieter
Old 12-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Someone posted a link to a "Sound Deadener Showdown" website that compared quite a few of the popular ones. I'll post the link when I got home, I'm at work and don't have it here.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SICK WS 6
Someone posted a link to a "Sound Deadener Showdown" website that compared quite a few of the popular ones. I'll post the link when I got home, I'm at work and don't have it here.
Yeh,that would be cool!I want to put in something.I'm just not sure what.The way theses cars are,even just covering the back in card board would help.

I'm leaning towards Dynamat.I really dont want to use spray or roll on.I'm not too concerned with the added weight.I want to do the doors and whole trunk area,including behind the sail panels.Maybe in a few other area's.I was going to get 2 of the Dynamat extreme kits.The 36 sq.ft. ones.That should be plenty with some extra.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

second skin is absolutely the best sound deadener of this type that you can get. go look at that comparo on the site mentioned above.
i used 40sq ft for my doors and the stuff is awesome
Old 12-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Launching!

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I should have remembered that!

Once it warms up enough I'll be doing both my cars with RAAMmat products.
Website is at www.raamaudio.com
Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just wanted to update.Thanks to this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/417980-i-m-getting-old-stuff.html

I did my car as well.I went with the Dynamat too.I did my doors,headliner and from my back seats/sail panel back.I pulled off the tail lights and did the back panel as well.It made an incredible difference in noise reduction.

I know most of the reviews complain about the price of Dynamat,but I found a good deal on it.I got 2 bulk kits and 1 door kit.I got ripped on the door kit because I bought it local.$100 at Bestbuy.I paid $125 a piece for the bulk kits.I was putting new window motors in and got impatient waiting for the kits to come in and wanted to put my doors back together.

Anyway if your not concerned about weight I think this is one of the best things I've done to make the car more enjoyable to drive.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

I use dynamat and acumat every day and im experiance the only way you will get any improvment is when you use a lot of it.. if you dont do the whole car you actuly defet the pourpos of it entierly and end up with more noise in the car.. IMO take every thing out of the car and put multipul layers on every thing and every inch of your car.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSXRX7
I use dynamat and acumat every day and im experiance the only way you will get any improvment is when you use a lot of it.. if you dont do the whole car you actuly defet the pourpos of it entierly and end up with more noise in the car.. IMO take every thing out of the car and put multipul layers on every thing and every inch of your car.

Why do you say if you don't do the whole car, you "end up with more noise in the car"? I was planning on doing first the rear window, then the bottom trunk.

Still haven't decided which one to buy though.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

uhh, you're crazy dude.
i ONLY did my doors and there is a noticable decrease in road noise, etc
Old 12-19-2005, 02:36 AM
Staging Lane

just saying from experiance maby you have had better luck but how is puting it on just your doors going to help when there is so many places road and moter noise can come from? under car trunk hood roof ect.... that seemes like holding two pieces of foam 6 inches from your ears and saying its quieter... or maby you just stoped a few rattels in your door humm....
Old 12-19-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just saying from experiance maby you have had better luck but how is puting it on just your doors going to help when there is so many places road and moter noise can come from? under car trunk hood roof ect.... that seemes like holding two pieces of foam 6 inches from your ears and saying its quieter... or maby you just stoped a few rattels in your door humm....
"there is so many places road and 'moter' noise" come from, and by deadening 2 of the most prominent places how do you expect to not see/hear a difference? and how do you think it would make it WORSE? lol
Old 12-19-2005, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a dynomat trunk kit. I did the entire rear hatch area and my doors with the remain/scraps since no one would see it.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you put in on your doors that's one less place for noise to come from. It will help. Will it sound as quiet as it could... No but anything is an improvment.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see what LSXRX7 is trynig to say.When I just had it on my doors,waiting for the bulk kits to come.The whole back of the car seemed amplified and louder.It was rather annoying.If I wasnt planing on doing the rest of the car,I would of pulled it back off the doors.It's like having the back cover at the rear hatch removed and the car gets louder.Put it back and the noise from the rear of the car is quieter.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I remember reading about a guy who built a custom mp3 player for his T/A. He put this other stuff from Lowe's in his car to do the same thing as the dynamat but it costs a lot less... I was thinking about giving it a go over my xmas break.

Snootch420's website
Old 12-22-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RyRy
I remember reading about a guy who built a custom mp3 player for his T/A. He put this other stuff from Lowe's in his car to do the same thing as the dynamat but it costs a lot less... I was thinking about giving it a go over my xmas break.

Snootch420's website
Its a roofing based material.There are many different types of sound deadener.The Dynamat Extreme and a few other makers are not the stinky(as in smell) roofing material based products.

Just google sound deadening and you'll be amazed at all the products.I personally went with Dynamat due to the only major complaint was cost.It was as good or better than any product out there.Very easy to work with as well.If you shop around on the net you can get almost any sound deadener at decent prices.I got mine from Car Domain.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered element designs sound deadening. I liked the price and its made from the same mataerial as dynamat extreme. I just hope this really get ride of the trunk rattle and sticks and stays onto the car as good as it says it does.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive always used dynamat.
Ive also always been able to get cost on it.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my element designs;sound deading today. But their is no instructions. But I've read that you apply it on a hot day, right?

I don't know how the other stuff comes shipped but this stuff kind of looks like the roofing rolls you buy at home depot, but it clearly doesn't have the smell as the roofing material.

How and in what type of weather did you install your sound deading material?

I live in S. California and were in rain season and from day to day the clouds appear or the sun appears or it'll rain for half a day. Would it be alright to install this stuff on a cloudy day? Thanks.