Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What size amp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What size amp?

I have never been big on car audios, so please excuse my ignorance. The guy i got the car from said he was running a 4 channel amp to push everything. He replaced all the stock speakers with Polk Audio components. It has a JVC Kameleon head unit. It already has a powerblock back where the old amp was mounted. He said all I would need is an amp and RCA cables. I also have a box for 2 10"s. I havent gotten the 10's yet, but would like an amp capable of pushing everything without breaking my wallet. I'll definately take a used amp as well. Just don't know what to look for.

Thanks!

Devon
Old 12-22-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there really are Polk components in there, you'll want to give them at least a clean 50 watts rms or so each. For two 10" subs you'll want a minimum of 150 watts rms for the pair... 250-300 would be much better depending upon the subs.

But it will likely be a better setup to work with a 4 channel amp + a dedicated sub amp.

-4x50 or so rms amp
-class D mono sub amp w/ 200-300 watts

If you are not a bass head there are nice 4+1 amps out there... but they tend to be about 4x50 + 150 or so.

For cheap and used look into Alpine V12's (4x50+150x1), there are many similar amps from Infinity and JBL as well.

If you are really un-picky... you might be able to use the head unit for the highs and just pick up a class d mono for your subs.