Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

monsoon system speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default monsoon system speaker question

I have a 2001 SS with the 500 watt monsoon system. I need to know what size the middle two speakers that are right behind the front seats. Could someone tell me what size they are because my left one is blown.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look in the FAQ at the very top of the forum
https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/347399-faq-about-monsoon-removed-inaccurate-information.html
Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

I mean this in good fun...
Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Since you brought up the Sail Panel Speakers....

Everyone seems to be saying that the Sail Panel (Back Seat) Speakers are 2ohm.

The stock HU runs at 4 ohms and powers the front door tweeters and the rear hatch tweeters/mids.

The stock amp located next to the spare tire runs at 2 ohms and powers the midbass for the front door speakers and the back seat speakers.
I took this from the Sticky:Frequently Asked Question - #22. Part #'s for Monsoon speakers that 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick added after he saw me post it several times and the research I have done on this topic.

Now for the question. I pulled one of the stock speakers out of the Sail Panels in my 2001 Formula and under were it says Assembled in Mexico it clearly says 4ohm/4ohm! Am I misunderstanding something here in the Forums or did I just get lucky and got a "one off" stereo? I suppose I could play dumb at the Audio Store and see what they have to say, but I thought I'd bring this "interesting" question up here first.

Thanks, Guys!
1stbird

Old 01-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, you didn't get an oddball setup. You have a Firebird which has dual voice coil subs in the sail panels. The two coils are each 4-ohms wired in parallel to produce a net 2-ohm load for the amp. Camaros have single voice coil subs that are 2-ohms. In either case the Monsoon amp "sees" a 2-ohm load.