Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GPS for the car - what's the best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS for the car.............whats the best

Magellan?

Garmin?

If anyone knows, my stepfather wants one.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

I asked this a lil while ago, from my past knowledge I would say that both garmin and magellan are reliable brands - but quite a few people told me to get the $79 microsoft streets & trips w/ GPS receiver (it' made by Pharos). I went with some friends on a 3 hour trip to take a buddy back to college and we used it with my new laptop. As long as there is clear view of the sky I was seeing connections to 9 satellites. It's pretty accurate, as long as you have driving guidance compensation enabled. So if you have a laptop with strong battery life or a car adapter, and a driving companion to act as a navigator, you can save a heck of a lot of money and just get that.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dreammmatt
I asked this a lil while ago, from my past knowledge I would say that both garmin and magellan are reliable brands - but quite a few people told me to get the $79 microsoft streets & trips w/ GPS receiver (it' made by Pharos). I went with some friends on a 3 hour trip to take a buddy back to college and we used it with my new laptop. As long as there is clear view of the sky I was seeing connections to 9 satellites. It's pretty accurate, as long as you have driving guidance compensation enabled. So if you have a laptop with strong battery life or a car adapter, and a driving companion to act as a navigator, you can save a heck of a lot of money and just get that.
So you must have a laptop to use it?

Where is it sold?