Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sirius users (XM too)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sirius users (XM too)

Has anyone ever had a problem with there system picking up static and enging noise. My sirius sounds like ***, I get static on a full signial and have put the antenna all over the place. I'm also picking up some engine noise, I can here a pop that goes with the idle of the motor and will increase if I rev up the motor. Any advice. I'm thinking...actually I want to just put in a new deck with the sirius already on it, hopefully that will work. Seems I have a bad ground or somthing but WHERE!!! Thanks for any help...
Old 01-04-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Need more info on the setup.

Usually noise like that is caused by the preamp too close to the +12.
Sometimes its ground related also
Old 01-04-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

its just the plug and play unit. I have the unit attached to the window pretty much in the center of the dash..I may try mooving it and seeing what happends. I do know that it doen't matter where the antenna is.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My XM unit is mounted to the right side of the factory radio/ ac controls. It is wired in direct and doesn't use the cassette adapter. The antenna is located on the roof bar just to the rear of the t-top divider bar. It works perfectly and has absolutely no static. The picture isn't the best but you can see the mounting location.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model Sirius...wireless FM modulated...aux input...describe the install...aftermarket head w/ tuner? Different setups will have different causes of engine noise.