Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installing AMP kit????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default installing AMP kit????

What is the easiest way to route the wires to the back deck. I have never installed in this car or had the interior apart. Any info is appreciated.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't done a late model fbody yet, but have done one in my 91 z. Basically going from the battery to the firewall is simple enough (a few zip ties). Usually on the dirver's side you can find a hole/drill a whole and use a grommet to get the power wire into the cabin and just run it back underneath the moldings along that side all the way to the back. I would run the rca cables on the passenger side of the car to reduce interference and repeat the process to the back. The majority of the side moldings snap into place or have visible screws that make them fairly easy to remove/reinstall.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Your power wire should run:
from the battery for about a foot, then into a fuse holder.
2. from the fuse holder, find a large unused grommet behind the PCM (you will have to remove the PCM to get at it. See the third pic down on the right side here.)
3. poke a hole in the grommet, and run your power wire through.
4. Open both doors, and remove both kick panels.
5. Pull up the carpet as much as you can in both the driver's and passenger's footwells.
6. run your RCA cable, remote wire, and speaker wires from the dashboard radio hole, under the carpet in the drivers footwell (under the pedals) towards the edge of the door.
7. then run the cables inside the door under the carpet running them between the seat and door.
8. You might want to buy a large Torx bit to take out the driver's seatbelt, or you can try to tuck the wires under the carpet behind the seatbelt mounting point.
9. run the wires under the carpet along the side of the rear seat, and then up to the back deck.
10. run the power wire the same way along the passenger side.
11. Tuck all the carpet back down, and put all your trim back in, being careful not to put a screw through your RCA cables when re-installing the kick panels.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankx for the short wrtie up. Thats how I was planning on tryin it. Just wasn't sure if there might be any pre-existing groments in the firewall I could use. I am also gonna decide where my amp will mount & run the wires under the carpet on the back deck if possible.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Just wasn't sure if there might be any pre-existing groments in the firewall I could use.
There is. Under the PCM. The grommet is huge. I have my 1/0awg running through there.