Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What affect does a 4 channel amp have on sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What affect does a 4 channel amp have on sound?

I have some infinity kappas on my 97 z. I also have an alpine headunit at the moment. I was wondering what effect a 4 channel amp has. The speakers sound pretty decent on the alpine hu and get pretty loud. (4x40 amp in the HU btw). Can someone explain exactly what the amp will do with the sound?
Old 01-22-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. You are wondering why it would be better to buy an external amp of about the same power output if the stock rating seems to be about the same.

1st, the Amplifier's in the STock HU are not that powerful. Almost all maufactures list their rating on the HU at the Peak output. What you need to pay attention to it the RMS out. The difference is that one is a measurement of continuous output and Peak is just that. What it make at the Very max for a Split (tiny fraction of a second).

Now, the other thing is that most external amps will produce more power than any head unit can. That will produce more volume.

2nd, the power output will be cleaner, provide better dampening (contorl of the speaker), have better dynamics (the difference between a soft and loud volume. Think gun shot or Drum hits).

All in all there are more things to understand, but if you compare a HU to an amp side by side, the external amp will sound better in most cases. (other cases being a cheap external amp)