Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub not to its potential...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sub not to its potential...

Just installed an Eclipse 12" sub(6023 i think) DVC,dual 4 ohms. Along with an 800 watt mono sub-amp.Set it up in a sealed box,down-firing.The head unit is a stock Mach cd/MP3 player,installed a high-output converter, with no factory amp.This is in my 03' Ranger ext.cab, if that matters. We wired it up in series,so it should be pushing around 360watts@2 ohms. We got everything setup, and started to play around with it.. The setup just doesn't sound up to its potential..I've heard 8's,that are louder,lol. Any ideas as to what it is?? Is the factory unit/highout converter choking the system?? Not enough juice to push it?? Sometimes it almost sounds like,the bass is fading in/out..Some songs, it sounds alright(rap). Any help?? Questions, just ask!! btw,Im using 4 gauge wire.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Launching!

maybe it's the amp. i know a guy with two 10" subs that cracked his back hatch but my two 15"s haven't cracked mine. i've got 1200 watts (600 each sub) worth of amps running through my system and i dont' think it's loud enough but that's just cause the subs can hold about 200 watts more each so they aren't really using their full potential. maybe that's what's wrong... you just need a better amp?

also i heard that bigger amps work better. for example. if you have a 500 watt sub then get an amp that will put 600 watts into it so you can reach the max volume of the speakers. just don't turn it up all the way or you might have some trouble lol
Old 01-22-2006, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Series? It would be seeing a 8 ohm load. It should be in Parallel to see a 2 ohm load.

go to link, it shows how it is supposed to be wired.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pr...ubs/?helpid=58

Last edited by rotwiler; 01-22-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

What kind of amp is it?
What airspace do you have the sub in?
What ohm load does the amp see?
Where is the gain on the amp?
What size wire did you run for the power and the ground?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. If it is in Series, you are not using the amp's full output. Try re-wiring it in Parallel.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

K..wired it up just like the diagram says, in parallel..Now you can't even tell the sub is there!!! WTF!! The amp is a Pioneer GM-7100M, rated @ 800 watts,mono-sub amp..its brand new..I used a wiring kit that is rated for around 600-800 watts,so the power wire is 4 gauge,the ground wire is about the same size, maybe just a bit smaller. The gain on the amp is all the way up,the DB switch is all the way up, and its got another ****,but I can't remember the name of it..Has to do with frequency though..
By using the factory CD player, I had to install one of the high-ouput converters..Are those no good?? What the hell is the deal?? Im gettin' pissed.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Teching In

u said you had a mach system alot of the time when you try to hook up a line out converter to a mach sytem it wont work right the factory amp split the signal in to two ones highs one is mid bass you might have tapped into the wrong wires
Old 01-23-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, its a Mach stereo, but it doesn't have a factory amp, it just has 4 speaker..one in each door(ext. cab doors too.) CD/MP3 player is what it says on it. Its very possible that we tapped the wrong ones, but we went off a diagram from an audio site.. Unless Ford changed something and this site wasn't aware..
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Teching In

try getting it from the rear speakers those speakers if it is a mach system maybe individaully amplified if it is amped your rear speakers are left (+gray/lgtblue.)(-tan/yellow) right(+orange/red)(-brown/pink) now you can take the speakers out to get these wires or go behind your factory radio or find them in your kick panel