Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where is the Tach wire in 1999 V6????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is the Tach wire in 1999 V6????

Trying to install remote start for my Pontiac Firebird 1999 V6. Could not locate the tach wire. Have installed two remote start systems before for two other cars without problems. At the PCM wire number 10 is purple/white (not white like in v8) and do not show change in AC voltage when using throttle. Does anybody know where I can find that wire in V6. I used to find it for other two cars inside the car (at ecm I think). Is it inside the firebird too somewhere?

Thank You
Old 08-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

White wire ("engine speed output") is in position 8 of the clear (white) connector on the PCM of your car.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
White wire ("engine speed output") is in position 8 of the clear (white) connector on the PCM of your car.
Is this what you are talking about? That clear/white connector you are talking about is a little confusing to me. If so - I don't see any output in AC voltage on that wire as well?
Attached Thumbnails Where is the Tach wire in 1999 V6????-pcm.jpg  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird!
Is this what you are talking about? That clear/white connector you are talking about is a little confusing to me. If so - I don't see any output in AC voltage on that wire as well?
Yes, that's the one. The two connectors in the PCM are refered to as clear and blue to distinguish between them. You have to loosen the retaining bolt and unplug the connector to actually see the color of the connector.

You won't really see a voltage with a multimeter because it is a Class 2 serial data signal on that wire.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Okay - Thank You!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Unfortunately my alarm doesn't see that tach signal also. May be it is an old type of an alarm and it looks for AC voltage also? It is CrimeStopper 2008 FM. In the manual it says RPM Input (Pulse) connect to negative terminal of ignition coil, crankshaft position sensor or ECM/PCM tach wire.
Any help would be really appreciated - I really hate to run in tachless mode.

Thank You
Firebird!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up tach wire

If your having trouble finding the tach wire you can go to two other places that will give you the same signal. The tach wire gives you an increase in voltage as the engine revs up. You can also get the same signal from the fuel injector wires or the coil pack wire. Use a DMM to find the correct wire and tap into it. To make sure its the correct wire tap the wire with the dmm and rev the engine the voltage should go up accordingly. If it does, that is your wire. And you need your tach wire for the remote start. If the car has trouble starting (it takes a while to turn over ) the remote start system will just crank for a second and the car will not turn over. The tach wire tells the system to keep cranking or to stop. since this is a newer car (fuel injected) it shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply: Where is the Tach wire in 1999 V6????