Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MTX PRO400x5 or SONY XM5150GSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTX PRO400x5 or SONY XM5150GSX

I'm trying to set up a system in my Trans Am, it had the Monsoon system from factory and it sounded ok but it needs to be better. Listen to mainly rock but sometimes rap too, anyway here's what I wanna go with after reading around some.

Alpine CDA-9833 HU (used off ebay)

5 Channel Amp - the subject title.. MTX PRO400x5 or SONY XM5150GSX?? Don't know which is really better, tried looking over the ratings but I don't know a lot about the sound stuff so I figured I would just ask.

10" Sub w/ Stealth box in back

Maybe go back through and replace the speakers with something too, don't really know.

Any advice would be great, sorry I'm a newb to this kind of stuff, and I have searched and read a lot but I just wanted a reponse specically to me haha.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Oh and it doesn't have to be anything really great as you can tell, it just needs to sound good and I want it to hit some too, figured the 10" sub would be enough for that... have a few buddys with 10's, even a friend with a pair and have been in a car with (2) 12's, I don't think I need any of that.. one should do.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

steer away from sony. If you want a five channel amp look into eclipse audio or memphis audio for some quality. The mtx would be the better amp.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

If you're installing a 5-channel amp then you're going to want to replace the speakers and wiring. You certainly don't want to be using the factory Monsoon amp along with your new one (hence the rewiring) and the factory speakers are a mix of 2-ohm and 4-ohm that aren't the greatest quality.

If you're looking for better sound without doing a complete system overhaul, maybe you should consider just the head unit, sub/stealth box, and an amp for the sub. Leave the factory amp and speakers for now - you can upgrade them later as time and budget permit. This will get you cleaner sound (most of the Monsoon distortion comes from the head unit) and better bass without breaking the bank.

Quick Reply: MTX PRO400x5 or SONY XM5150GSX