Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subs either too quiet or pop? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs either too quiet or pop? WTF?

I am installing a stereo in my Chrysler and am all messed up somehow...I just put one in the Camaro not too long ago and have had sub/amp setups in my last two vehicles as well but the installs went much smoother...here's where I'm at...

The amps and capacitors are getting power and seem to be working fine...I built a custom box and put some polyfil in there and mounted two MA Audio subs. They problem is that the subs are extremely quiet or pop if you turn them up at all. With the volume at 10 percent you can barely feel the subs vibrating but any more than that and they start popping/clicking. I have checked my wiring 3 times and I am positive that the polarity is correct and they are wired right.

The only thing that I can think of that might be causing it is the fact that I didnt use a line out converter??? I found a pair of RCA cables and just spliced them into the rear speaker wires...is this whats causing all my problems? All the cars that I have put stereos in have had aftermarket HU's which makes it a hell of a lot easier. I have an unopened LOC that I got from Best Buy but I would rather save $27 if thats not the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and the sooner the better so I can get it done and get out of the 100 degree garage. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

yup, thats gonna be it. If the amp ur using isnt an MTX amp with the option of using low/high level input through the RCA's, u need to use a line output convertor. Ur sending a powered signal instead of just signal. U can just hook up speaker leads through the RCA if the amp is not compatible. MTX calls it SMART Engage or something similar to that. More than likely the amp you have, will have a place for a small prong inputs if u dont want to use a hi/low convertor.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

That did the trick...thanks for your help ultraz!